Napa, CA

Rovers2000

I'm in the process of planning my first trip out to Napa with my wife for the last weekend in February (Thursday - Monday).  It'll be our first trip sans our 17 month old little one so I really would like to pull out as many stops as I can without going completely off the wall financially.  To that end - does anyone have any lodging recs they would pass along?

I'm fine with larger hotels, boutiques, BnB's or even Airbnb or HomeAway options. 

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Don (and belated happy holidays) - I think the double tree is probably a little below where I'm looking to stay.  I don't want to go crazy (500+ per night) but I'd be comfortable between 200-350 (and that probably would've been smarter to include in my original post).  

Duly noted Oenotri - it is on the list now.  

2 hours ago, Rovers2000 said:

Thanks Don (and belated happy holidays) - I think the double tree is probably a little below where I'm looking to stay.  I don't want to go crazy (500+ per night) but I'd be comfortable between 200-350 (and that probably would've been smarter to include in my original post).  

Duly noted Oenotri - it is on the list now.  

Are you staying in North Bay, or will you be going down into San Francisco?

Napa, and especially Yountville, are havens of $400-600 hotels that certainly do *not* seem worth it. A happy medium is Vino Bello, which is a Shell property - if you can get this hotel for under $200 a night, you're doing well, but even *it* might not be what you're looking for.

Don't book it without talking with me first, because there is something I need to warn you about (not to mention a $20 daily "resort fee"). Still, that's the nicest place *I've* personally stayed in in Napa, but I haven't gone upscale there. It's surprisingly nice, however.

Check The Carneros Inn, which is home to Boon Fly Cafe, legendary for its fried chicken - but that might be a little too expensive.

Talk to DIShGo - she knows these places better than anyone here, most likely.

And along with Oenotri, see my review of the Fremont Diner, which is so good it will amaze you - and it's a dive.

• Like 1

Check out the Napa River Inn. It is a charming hotel in a great location in downtown Napa. Friends of mine who have stayed there have been pleased. There is a wonderful restaurant, Celadon, next door, and a lot of things to do and places to dine within walking distance. Andaz Napa is a downtown Hyatt. I don't know much about it, but it looks nice and is in a good location.

There are some really nice, high-end hotels in Yountville, but most of them are quite pricey. Villagio Inn and Spa is very nice, and it might be in your price range for that time of year.

In St. Helena you could try The Harvest Inn. St. Helena has a charming downtown and is close to a lot of good wineries. It is about a 30 minute drive from Napa. 

• Like 1

DIShGo, I don't know whether you agree with me or not, but the town of Napa itself, while nice, isn't *that* nice, and if you're going to see the wineries, you shouldn't feel any special need to stay in Napa proper. I think Yountville is more charming, and in an old-fashioned, rural, sort-of way, Sonoma is just as charming (albeit perhaps a bit out of the way). What do you think? I think once you get into wine country, hotels become very poor values. 

Oh, and make sure you *don't* take the wine train.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

DIShGo, I don't know whether you agree with me or not, but the town of Napa itself, while nice, isn't *that* nice, and if you're going to see the wineries, you shouldn't feel any special need to stay in Napa proper. I think Yountville is more charming, and in an old-fashioned, rural, sort-of way, Sonoma is just as charming (albeit perhaps a bit out of the way). What do you think? I think once you get into wine country, hotels become very poor values. 

Oh, and make sure you *don't* take the wine train.

Yes, I agree with you, Don. I think Yountville is the most desirable location, with both a charming town, and close proximity to good wineries, restaurants and shops. But you pay for that experience. You might want to check availability at the Silverado Resort and Spa. It is close to a lot of popular wineries and has different options ranging from traditional rooms to cottages. Napa is a better value and it is still very close to great restaurants and wineries. St. Helena is quite charming, and Sonoma has a delightful square. A friend stayed at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and liked it.

If you want to venture into Sonoma County, there is Healdsburg and Glen Ellen. My brother rented a beautiful home with several couples in a wooded area near Glen Ellen. But you are getting off of the beaten path up there, and away from what is traditionally thought of as a visit to the Napa Valley Wine Country.

A few years ago I rented a three bedroom house with a pool and hot tub within walking distance of Sonoma Square.  If I recall correctly, it was $3500 for a week, or $500 per night for three bedrooms with amenities. Not a difficult drive to Napa.  Try VRBO or other similar services. I am sure you will find something acceptable or better within your price range.

Appreciate all the advice!

I also had a family member recommend the Napa River Inn to me - which based on my research may be a really solid option for us.  It also looks like I can use the copious amounts of points I've accrued this year towards it which is a nice side benefit B).

• Like 1