Le Train Bleu - The "Secret" Train Restaurant inside of Bloomingdales, Open since 1979 - Closed

Sadly, one of my favorite spots in the city closed on Wednesday.  

Le Train Bleu was the not-so-secret "secret" restaurant in Bloomingdale's.  It was designed to look like an old rail dining car and was named for the famous train of the same name (not the restaurant in the Gare de Lyon railway station in Paris).  In a lot of ways, it was one of those restaurants that time apparently forgot -- the experience was probably the same a month ago as it was when it opened in 1979, and the same people likely still worked there.  About half of the patrons were tourists, but the regular clientele -- now in their 70's and 80's -- were probably the same too.  And the food was always good, though not spectacular.  Still, it was just one of those places that you love to be.  

While it was only a block from my apartment, I didn't go often because it was seemingly never open (it closed at 5:00 every day).  But it will nonetheless be greatly missed, and I'm glad I got one last lunch on its final day.  It was as good as it ever was until the end.

[Originally posted on NYDiningGuide.com]

Outside_1.jpg

Inside_1.jpg

Lunch.jpg

• Like 4