CSNY Pizza, Carryout and Delivery New York-Style Pizza in Edmonston Crossing Shopping Center, Rockville - Open for Lunch and Dinner Seven Days a Week

On 11/11/2016 at 5:35 PM, DanielK said:

And without spilling too much of the news, if you drive slowly north on Rockville Pike, and look in the strip centers on the right, there's a pretty unmistakable sign about a mile north of the joint...

I will keep my eyes peeled as I inch my way up the Pike on my next pizza run. Not only are their pies great, everyone in the shop is so nice -- whether they're patiently taking a long phone order, when you come in for pick up or when you're eating in. Fond of Frankly, too -- it's not the same, but we're lucky to have better pizza around these days.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:22 PM, coolcreek said:

I will keep my eyes peeled as I inch my way up the Pike on my next pizza run.

In the interest of public safety, the CS NY Pizza location is at the northern-most end of the same strip mall as Penzeys and Iron Age. Last time I was in, Jonathan thought it might open in maybe March (but everyone's calendars move right). I hope the "good pies" will be there too. Sounds like their current location is good to 2018.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, pras said:

Time for the new concept's own thread?  Coverage from Bethesda Magazine.

Perhaps. Michael Landrum will justifiably have a beef (I swear I posted before noticing this) with me making two threads out of restaurants named "Pizzeria CS" and "Pizzeria CSNY," but given that they are different concepts; not just slight variations on the name, gives it additional merit (and we did have different threads for Ray's The Heat, Ray's The Catch, Ray's City Vista, and Ray's The Classics).

In these cases, I generally go straight to the owner and flat-out ask: Are these supposed to be similar concepts, or not? K.N. Vinod, for example, wanted a single thread for both Indique and Iindique Heights.

So yes, I think a new thread makes sense. Just keep posting here for the time being, and I'll split it (I just can't do it at this particular moment).

They're unofficially open weekdays from 11:30-3 for a few weeks - they don't have enough staff yet for full operations. Limited menu for the time being - thick and thin pizzas, meatball parm, chicken parm, drinks.

• Like 2

Grabbed a few slices today, that's some darn good pizza. I liked the NY style better than the Sicilian personally, though both were good. Good sausage too, looking forward to them getting the rest of their toppings lined up so I can get a proper ricotta + sausage pizza (my favorite for NY style).

Well the bad news is it sounds like their delivery range will be just short of reaching where I work (they said 3.5 miles is the current plan but it might expand). The good news is they will be open 7 days a week so I can actually get some pizza on a Monday night.

As expected there's only about ~5 seats in the place, so unfortunately that does make it difficult to bring friends along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koozebanian Fazoob said:

Well the bad news is it sounds like their delivery range will be just short of reaching where I work (they said 3.5 miles is the current plan but it might expand). The good news is they will be open 7 days a week so I can actually get some pizza on a Monday night.

It's not impossible - if you're a regular customer, and tip well, it never hurts to ask them to go the extra mile for you.

23 hours ago, Koozebanian Fazoob said:

They should be open for dinner hours starting the 26th, put your eyeballs on their FB page to be sure of course. They have wings now as well, still need to try out a meatball sub though.

I'll let you know when the official announcement happens - my kid is working there for the summer now.

• Like 1

For the weekend, they'll be open until 9p, or until they run out of pizza. Monday closed, and probably back to lunch-only hours next week for a bit more. They just don't have enough trained staff to operate both places at full bore yet.

We had their boneless wings with hot honey bbq, and a pepperoni/mushroom. Both were great! I'm not a boneless wing afficionado, but I could have eaten these like a bowl of (big) popcorn. The sauce was fantastic--a bit of heat and very flavorful. The pizza was exactly like I would have expected--so different from the CS neapolitan pies, but really excellent. We can't wait to have more...

We were the only people in there at lunchtime today.

That's a crying shame - this is probably the closest to a New York pie you can get in the DC area. But the Sicilian might actually be the better slice. Chicken and meatball parm subs were great too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DanielK said:

We were the only people in there at lunchtime today.

That's a crying shame - this is probably the closest to a New York pie you can get in the DC area. But the Sicilian might actually be the better slice. Chicken and meatball parm subs were great too.

Thanks for the reminder - I'll stop in tomorrow. Maybe the summer is tough in that location. Richard Montgomery starting the school year in a few weeks could help.

4 minutes ago, Kev29 said:

Thanks for the reminder - I'll stop in tomorrow. Maybe the summer is tough in that location. Richard Montgomery starting the school year in a few weeks could help.

There's construction in the shopping center as well, which I'm sure is hurting the walk-in/drive-by traffic.

But mostly this is a prod to readers not in the immediate Rockville area that this is worth a trip.

Went tonight and really enjoyed our large cheese pie. Quick warm up in the oven after the drive home and the slices were excellent. The dough has the right amount of savoriness (read: there is actually a bit of savoriness, it's not bland or sweet). I'd say it's the most NYC-like in the area, and probably the best for the style. I really like Wiseguy too but their pies can be a bit on the heavier side, more of a substantial crust.

I'd go a lot if it was closer. As for the lack of crowds, it's a concept that would probably work really well in the city, with the higher transplant rate and more people who think a lot about their casual food. But I know Jon and Ankur aren't wanting to pay high transplant city rents :-) Or maybe they just need to get people in Rockville addicted to this NYC pie. They certainly did that with their VPN pizzas at CS. 

• Like 2

Picked up a pie from here on Monday for the first time.  First, kudos, to the most contactless pickup I have seen yet.  You walk up, show them your order on your phone through the window, then they place it on a table by the side door--very good system.

As far as the pie is concerned, it was great and definitely the closest to NY style pizza I have had in the area.  Cheese, sauce, crust, it had it all going on.

• Like 2

Finally got around to trying this place. 
Not that it’s too high a bar, but this is clearly the best NY-style pizza I’ve had in the area. 
Really good hush puppies too, which isn’t something I expected to find at a pizza place. 
My only issue, is that as a big Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young fan, I can’t look at the name of the restaurant without wondering why they opened a pizza place. The mind works in mysterious, and annoying ways. 

• Like 4

On 7/4/2023 at 11:04 PM, DonRocks said:

Two weeks ago, I went to CSNY Pizza in Rockville, which had the best New York-style pies in the DMV of late. While it was a step up from Wiseguys (as it always has been), it, too, seemed to have declined in quality since I was last here, perhaps a year ago, but I'm hoping this was a one-time blip.

I tried another pizza from CSNY yesterday, an 18-inch sausage and mushroom, and it was very good - better than what I had in June (I ordered it "well-done"). The next day, it reheated decently, but not as well as I'd hoped. I really like their sausage here.

I also tried one slice of their extremely glutinous Sicilian-style cheese pizza, and although I had a personal preference for the NY pie, this could easily appeal to someone who wants a nice, thick, ultra-chewy slice on the run.

A good showing!

• Like 1