Sushi near Verizon Center

MattCraft

We want to grab sushi before the Caps game tomorrow. We live in Mount Vernon Triangle and will be walking over so we don't want to go outside of the immediate Penn Quarter/Chinatown area. The only spot we've been to is Momiji and it was mediocre. Any other recommendations? We love Daikaya, both upstairs and downstairs, but they're not a sushi spot. Seeing Sei, Absolute Noodle/Sushi, AOI, Asia Nine, etc. Any favorites or others I am missing? Thank you!

1 hour ago, MattCraft said:

We want to grab sushi before the Caps game tomorrow. We live in Mount Vernon Triangle and will be walking over so we don't want to go outside of the immediate Penn Quarter/Chinatown area. The only spot we've been to is Momiji and it was mediocre. Any other recommendations? We love Daikaya, both upstairs and downstairs, but they're not a sushi spot. Seeing Sei, Absolute Noodle/Sushi, AOI, Asia Nine, etc. Any favorites or others I am missing? Thank you!

China Chilcano - not "pure sushi," but should fit the bill. Of the ones you've listed, Sei was your best bet, but it's not what it was when it first opened.

• Like 1

Corduroy has the tuna entree served over sushi rice, served at the upstairs bar as part of the three-course special.  But for straight up sushi, you forgot Wok n Roll Express.  Actually, Zengo might be your best bet in the "I must have traditional sushi in Chinatown" category.  

On 1/11/2017 at 8:39 AM, DaRiv18 said:

Corduroy has the tuna entree served over sushi rice, served at the upstairs bar as part of the three-course special.  But for straight up sushi, you forgot Wok n Roll Express.  Actually, Zengo might be your best bet in the "I must have traditional sushi in Chinatown" category.  

I thought about Zengo, but that tuna dish at Corduroy calls out to me - that's a really good, if monotonic - idea.

On 1/10/2017 at 2:56 PM, DonRocks said:

China Chilcano - not "pure sushi," but should fit the bill. Of the ones you've listed, Sei was your best bet, but it's not what it was when it first opened.

I don't think China Chilcano is any more deviant from "pure" sushi than most other sushi places in the US. I had the spicy tuna roll when there for lunch once and I think they have regular nigiri as well. The only places I would say do "pure" sushi in DC are Taro and Ogawa/Sushi Capitol. Haven't been to Makoto in too long to know about them, but they were also very traditional.