Early Mountain Vineyards, Jean and Steve Case in Madison, VA

dracisk

On 1/14/2017 at 11:32 PM, Joe H said:

Early Mountain (now four or five years old) also has a beautiful setting off of route 29 between Culpeper and Charlottesville

I can vouch for the beauty of Early Mountain. It's also not far off the beaten path (Route 29). I can't really speak to the wine since it's been a couple of years, but I recall enjoying it.

One of the advantages of Early Mountain is that they also carry wine from a number of other wineries.  On a stop a year or so ago there was Friends and Family which is RDV's third label (and well worth the $35 or so dollars it costs) along with Ankida Ridge pinot noir.  Ankida Ridge is especially interesting since the winery is only open to the public for five hours on Saturday afternoons  (one day a month in January and February),  It is also an experience to visit- both the setting and also the trip there.  This is one of those handful of wineries (Stone Mountain, Moss Vineyards also) that are truly interesting once you turn off of the main road (i.e. one lane gravel road on steep mountainside).  They are considered by some to have a legitimately good pinot noir.

And, all three (Ankida Ridge, Stone Mountain and Moss) are well worth the sometimes heartstopping adventure of getting there.  

A day of hiking in the Shenandoahs led to an afternoon of eating and drinking at Early Mountain.  They have a very nice tasting room, vibe is sort of tasting room meets country club, but the atmosphere is relaxed with a mixed crowd and friendly staff.  They have a medium sized patio area for outdoor tasting.  Since this was the Friday that the rains of Hurricane Ian arrived, we were able to get as spot next to the fireplace.

Early Mountain has several different tasting offerings, 10-12 wines by the glass and 6-8 wines on offer from other area wineries.

I ordered a very nice petit manseng, the Intention was fine but nothing special, and we enjoyed the Hark Vineyards Cab Franc.

For eating we got a nice cheese and charcuterie board, succulent pork belly, and white anchovies served with crackers which was fine.

Early Mountain is about 2 hours from the District and convenient if you are in the Old Rag or Hawksbill Mountain hiking areas or the Swift Gap Entrance to Shenandoah National Park.