"Hoop Dreams" (1994) - Director Steve James' Documentary Filmed Over Five Years, Following the Lives of William Gates and Arthur Agee

DonRocks

At nearly three hours in length, "Hoop Dreams" may seem like an arduous proposition, but it's going to be three of the fastest hours you've ever spent watching a film. I saw it on release in 1994, saw it a second time last night, and on both occasions, I was equally riveted.

Steve James spent five years filming the lives of *** SPOILER ALERT *** William Gates and Arthur Agee*** END SPOILER ALERT *** two promising 14-year-old basketball players from Chicago, and detailed the lives of these two amazing young men, their families, and their dreams of getting into the NBA. 

That's really all you need to know about the film - the most intelligent, wisest thing Steve James did in making this movie, was to let the story tell itself, barely speaking at all except when absolutely necessary. This "light-touch" approach makes the movie all about Gates and Agee, and displayed a maturity and confidence by James which, if it wasn't there, could have ruined a fantastic movie. 

If you've never heard of Hoop Dreams, I cannot recommend it strongly enough. Roger Ebert gave it four stars, and at the conclusion of his review (which I advise not reading until after you've watched the film), writes that "It is one of the great moviegoing experiences of my lifetime." 

The added bonus of an extra 20+ years of time makes Hoop Dreams all the more fascinating and poignant, once you find out what happened to some of the characters.

This is a wonderful film. Poignant, life-affirming, heartbreaking and exciting to watch. Within the first five minutes I was engrossed in the story of these two boys pursuing their dreams of becoming NBA stars, and my intense interest never waned.

This film is a documentary about basketball, but it is so much more. There is plenty for basketball fans to love: cameos by famous players and coaches (some before they were well-known), behind-the-scenes looks at coaching and recruiting, and exciting footage of down-to-the-buzzer games. But it is the ups and downs of the daily lives of these two boys, and their families, that make this film unforgettable.