Kingfisher, Neighborhood Bar on 14th and P Street - Logan Circle

After dinner at my fave' Ghibellina, stopped by the new bar Kingfisher, on my way back to my car, b/c I had to park all the way by the Pig. It's down in the basement, true neighborhood bar, not even dealing with the gastropub or any sort of menu options at all, except for free popcorn and some expensive beef jerky. They have a very strong beer draft list, some canned wines, fun cocktails. If you are hungry for other foods, you can order delivery or just bring what you want in. We walked into the beginning of trivia night (they use "Geeks Who Drink") and played a half a game (our group, "Better Late Than Pregnant" were 3rd of 11 at halftime), but I was turning into a pumpkin so we left before the game was over. 

I love it - very few of these exist any more. Felt like a bunch of friends got together and said, "Let's open a bar that feels like our basement". Very cozy. Reasonable prices. They have bingo night, too. Will see you there!

** Oh - the name has nothing to do with India or the Indian beer. They had a hard time finding a name for a bar, so they figured they'd go for a bird's name. They got a book and saw a really cool looking bird, and said, "Boom! That's what we're calling this joint". They do not serve Kingfisher but b/c of all the questions, they may offer it at some point. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

They do not serve Kingfisher but b/c of all the questions, they may offer it at some point. 

I would encourage them not to bother.  It's been decades since I drank a Budweiser, but the one Kingfisher I had in India was very reminiscent of Budweiser.  

21 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

except for free popcorn and some expensive beef jerky.

I have also seen ramen ordered, but I am unsure whether this is public knowledge, or an industry thing.

Also, one key correction - Kingfisher has NO drafts, it's just cans. But Simul is right, it's a pretty great list.

It is my coworkers' and my go-to after-work spot.  If there's a better way to unwind than beer-and-shot combos, 80s action movies on the TV, and free popcorn, I don't know what it is.

• Like 2

Another fan of Kingfisher. Love going there before going to dinner at Baan Thai. 

1 hour ago, fuzzy510 said:

I have also seen ramen ordered, but I am unsure whether this is public knowledge, or an industry thing.

Kingfisher has a tavern license, which means that while they don't have to serve food, they have to allow customers to bring in food. 

On 1/25/2017 at 8:48 AM, Simul Parikh said:

I love it - very few of these exist any more.

...In DC.  I was in Austin last weekend and saw literally dozens and dozens of bars that seemed to fit the bill.  Many other cities, too (there's one on every corner in Portland, and they serve great food, too! plus you get bearded millennials sitting next to also-bearded old guys who've occupied those same seats since 1962).  DC is somewhat exceptionally an utter wasteland for neighborhood bars.

But yeah, I spent a couple of hours at Kingfisher after a birthday dinner at B Too in December, and it was pretty good.

• Like 1