Dining in Nob Hill

I'm heading to SF tomorrow for two nights, staying in Nob Hill, and could use a suggestion for a client dinner tomorrow night.

DEFINITELY not looking for ethnic and/or fancy, high concept food. My client's tastes run to Morton's and Ruth's Chris so something that takes him slightly out of that realm, but doesn't scare or gross him out (ha) would be great. Steaks, seafood and/or pasta - all great. I don't expect to find much Southern or Soul Food, but that would also be perfect.

Nob Hill/Union Square locations preferred. $$ not an object.

Thoughts?

On 3/27/2006 at 7:48 AM, JLK said:

I'm heading to SF tomorrow for two nights, staying in Nob Hill, and could use a suggestion for a client dinner tomorrow night.

DEFINITELY not looking for ethnic and/or fancy, high concept food. My client's tastes run to Morton's and Ruth's Chris so something that takes
him slightly out of that realm, but doesn't scare or gross him out (ha) would be great. Steaks, seafood and/or pasta - all great. I don't expect
to find much Southern or Soul Food, but that would also be perfect.

Thoughts?

Maxfields should be the type of place that you are looking for. I have only been once for lunch and had a delightful meal. It has a very clubby feel and by clubby, I mean the University Club, not Club Love.

I'm heading to SF tomorrow for two nights, staying in Nob Hill, and could use a suggestion for a client dinner tomorrow night.

DEFINITELY not looking for ethnic and/or fancy, high concept food. My client's tastes run to Morton's and Ruth's Chris so something that takes him slightly out of that realm, but doesn't scare or gross him out (ha) would be great. Steaks, seafood and/or pasta - all great. I don't expect to find much Southern or Soul Food, but that would also be perfect.

Thoughts?

Acme Chophouse gets my vote. Bonus points for sustainably grown food on the menu.

Right in Nob Hill is Laurent Manrique's "new" (since 2004) baby: C & L, which is the counterpart to Aqua [Closed Apr 17, 2010].

GREAT suggestions - thanks! One more question: how about a decent spot for a solo breakfast tomorrow? Nothing fancy required. A spot - again - located in Nob Hill or Union Square would be ideal.

JLK said:
GREAT suggestions - thanks!  One more question:  how about a decent spot for a solo breakfast tomorrow?  Nothing fancy required.  A spot - again - located in Nob Hill or Union Square would be ideal.

If Union Square is a possibility, then how about going a mile further down Market St (cab/bus) to the Ferry Plaza building? I don't think it'll be a farmer's market day, but you can do VERY well with Acme Bread, Miette pastries, Cowgirl Creamery, Out the Door (take-out counter for Slanted Door - Vietnamese), etc. Doesn't open til 10 though, which might be a limiting factor for you.

JLK said:
GREAT suggestions - thanks!  One more question:  how about a decent spot for a solo breakfast tomorrow?  Nothing fancy required.  A spot - again - located in Nob Hill or Union Square would be ideal.

Kuleto's [Closed Jan 2, 2017], the restaurant at Villa Florence Hotel on Union Square does a really nice standard bacon-and-eggs type breakfast (with a larger menu, of course), but with quality ingredients, and the baked goods made in house. It's very nice: classic.