Breaking Bread NYC brings human face to Muslim Ban

beachgirl54

Read about this in Saveur - wonder if anyone is doing something similar in DC area?

That’s the mindset behind Breaking Bread NYC, which for a small donation of $10 will provide diners listings of restaurants across New York City that represent the cuisines of countries impacted by the new travel ban. Listings of participating restaurants will be distributed each Friday to new donors, just in time for weekend excursions to Muslim communities across the five boroughs and Long Island. All proceeds from the project will go to the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which engages in policy advocacy and representation for Muslims across America.

• Like 3

[Some may wonder why I haven't intervened here. It's because both comments have been 1) on-topic 2) non-partisan (the words "Republican, Democrat, Right-Wing, Left-Wing, etc." weren't used) 3) two perfectly valid - if polar opposite - points of view 4) within the bounds of civility towards one-another - nobody called anyone a name, or said they were "stupid or wrong"

Yes, this is a politically charged topic, but there have been no breaches of community fundamentals here.

Eric's post might be construed as 'off-topic," but can also be interpreted as being that he's against the very notion of Breaking Bread NYC. I absolutely do not think his comment should stop beachgirl54 from continuing discussion about the issue, and she has every right to ignore it. Do I wish he had written it in a more polite fashion? Sure, but it would be wrong of me to censor it just because he didn't.]

---

beachgirl54, I know of no other organizations doing the same thing in the Washington, DC area, but will keep my eye out, and post here if I hear anything. Thank you for your post, and I'll be happy to work with you on this issue.

Peace to all,
Rocks

This has been bothering me for a few days now, and I feel the urge to weigh in here.  I will admit to tagging Eric's post for moderation, as I felt like it was a spiteful comment that did nothing to address Beachgirl's question or further discussion on Breaking Bread.

I still feel that way.  Political partisanship is only one way to be disrespectful toward the community.

Re: Breaking Bread. I looked around here in Houston, but didn't come up with anything.  I love the idea, though (if only to get a list of new restaurants to try), and reached out to the Houston Chronicle food editor Alison Cook to see if she knew of anything similar down here.  I'll update if I hear anything back.

• Like 4

On February 7, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Josh said:

Re: Breaking Bread. I looked around here in Houston, but didn't come up with anything.  I love the idea, though (if only to get a list of new restaurants to try), and reached out to the Houston Chronicle food editor Alison Cook to see if she knew of anything similar down here.  I'll update if I hear anything back.

The Post had an article about this earlier today.

• Like 1