Yafa Grille, Middle Eastern Mini-Chain with Falafel and Shawarma at 19th and M Street and 14th and I Street Downtown

Walked by this place on the way to what would prove to be an excellent lunch at Siroc. Anyone tried it yet? Initial Yelp reviews are outstanding. It's right across 14th st from Buredo, in the old Lighter Cafe space at the top of the Metro escalator. Great to have some good felafel within walking distance of my office.

I've gotten lunch a few times there via MealPal and once with cash (Falafel, Chicken and Beef bowels, paid cash for Chicken).  The food is good, its a heavy bowel and I'm happy to have it as an option.  They have a lot of toppings including many spicy sauces.  I like it much more than skwr.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, iolaire said:

I've gotten lunch a few times there via MealPal and once with cash (Falafel, Chicken and Beef bowels, paid cash for Chicken).  The food is good, its a heavy bowel and I'm happy to have it as an option.  They have a lot of toppings including many spicy sauces.  I like it much more than skwr.

Thanks -- the pics on their website looked good and the portions substantial. Looking forward to trying the Felafel but will pass on the Beef bowels. :lol:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, iolaire said:

I've gotten lunch a few times there via MealPal and once with cash (Falafel, Chicken and Beef bowels, paid cash for Chicken).  The food is good, its a heavy bowel and I'm happy to have it as an option.

Obviously these are typos or autocorrects, but I'm cracking up over here. TGIF. It's been a long couple of weeks.

I tried this place today, (the new branch at 14 and I, which is a block from my office) on the basis of this thread.  I thought it was fine, nothing spectacular, but a decent lunch at a good price.

I got the whole wheat pita with chicken, hummus, various veggies, chickpeas, and tahini.  The chicken was a bit dry and didn't have a ton of flavor, but the combination I made was pretty good.  At first I was worried it wouldn't be enough, so I also ordered a $3.99 side of tabbouleh.  The tabbouleh was not good. Dry, unpleasant, I pitched it after three bites.  But, I didn't need it as this was a substantial pita sandwich.  If I just got the sandwich at $8.99, I would have thought this a very good deal and decent, but not amazing, lunch.

• Like 1

Tried Yafa for lunch today and was quite pleased. Got the $11.99 felafel platter I think four sizeable felafel balls, nice crunch and flavor, Got them over mixed greens instead of rice since it came with two sides -- I got couscous and grape leaves -- and a pita. Got all the veggie toppings, tzatziki sauce, and spicy sauce. This equates to a ton of food. Could barely finish. Lots of varying flavors so no two bites were the same.

Next time I'll just get a sandwich like I do at Max's since the platter is really too much food for lil ol' me.

On 8/19/2018 at 8:50 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Immediately after eating my proteins at Federalist Pig for lunch, I went to Amsterdam Falafel for some fiber (just a small sandwich).  They were playing some African pop music which I really digged. 

The balls were crispy on the outside, soft, salty and fluffy on the inside, and they even crush them for you.  I was handed a pita with the balls smooshed and ready to be topped.  I topped it with 2 kinds of cucumbers - sliced pickled and diced fresh, and then some tzatziki with even more cucumbers in it.  The contrasting textures of crunchy and soft was wonderful.

Next time I'll skip the BBQ and just get my falafel.  I wish there's one near me.  I've had Cava, Pita Pouch, the Halal Guys and they all suck compared to Amsterdam.

Have you tried Yafa Grille yet? Very good felafel.