Paid Parking Slowly Killing Reston Town Center?

Ferris Bueller

Boston Properties: Reston Construction Workers Have Ample Parking, We've Handled It

BXP says as soon as they heard complaints about construction workers parking on streets around RTC, they reached out to the contractor.

By Dan Taylor (Patch Staff) - May 12, 2017 10:53 am ET 

Boston Properties: Reston Construction Workers Have Ample Parking, We've Handled It

RESTON, VA — Boston Properties told Patch Friday that they've heard the concerns coming from Reston residents about construction workers clogging up area streets, and have reached out to the contractor employing them to make sure there aren't any problems in the future.

Patch reported Thursday that locals were complaining that construction workers at Reston Town Center don't appear to have access to RTC garages and are therefore parking on nearby streets, prompting at least one business to put up a sign telling them not to park there.

Kathy Walsh of Fallston Group, which represents Boston Properties, told Patch that it was simply a miscommunication: construction workers have access to a free parking lot near RTC with several hundred spots, and shouldn't have to park on nearby streets.

"As soon as Boston Properties was made aware of the issue, they reached out to the contractor, who addressed the issue with foremen, just to remind them of the parking guidelines," Walsh said.

She said BXP doesn't want the workers parking at RTC garages because they don't want them to "impact the availability of the parking garages for patrons," and that the free parking lot should have ample parking for them.

Now that workers have been reminded of parking guidelines and the free lot, it shouldn't be an issue in the future, she said.

Visited RTC recently for the first time since the payment system was implemented.  It was dead on a Thursday night at 5:30.  Really, really dead.  Most of the street traffic consisted of the security guards checking plates and writing tickets.  My favorite part was when a security person was placing a parking ticket on a car and the woman came up screaming "NO! NO! I work for Boston Properites, don't give me a ticket!"  The ticket was removed.

I don't mind paying a nominal fee for parking.  I mind the friction it causes in the retail experience - meaning if I can slide my cc in a meter and be done in 15 seconds, fine.  If I have to download an app, create an account, store cc information, or go through a painful five minute phone call - not so fine.  $6 for two hours also seems a bit rich in the suburbs when the garages and most of the street parking spots were vacant. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, genericeric said:

Sounds like Boston Properties has somewhat given in and is allowing free evening parking and an hour free during the day, according to this story.

Cynical Don Sez ...

"If they could, they would (present tense). If they can, they will (future tense)."

The first order of business is to divert attention away from the current shit-storm.

Man, I need to move to New Zealand or something.

12 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Another perspective from Boston Properties several years ago (2011).  If you have 4 minutes and care to watch this video it is an interesting contrast to 2017.

That link goes to the wrong page.  Do you have a different link from the 2011 source?

One more piece of information based on a poll after yesterday's news:

Majority Say They’ll Go to RTC — With our story Wednesday about changes to parking fees at Reston Town Center, we posted a poll asking whether those changes will make readers more likely to visit the Town Center. With nearly 900 votes on the unscientific poll, about two-thirds of responders said they would. [Reston Now]

On 5/31/2017 at 3:40 PM, genericeric said:

Sounds like Boston Properties has somewhat given in and is allowing free evening parking and an hour free during the day, according to this story.

It appears that Boston Properties changed their minds (at least partially) as they realized and understood that the "argument" from their own perspective became one of more money or less money.  I bet they realized they were going to lose retail tenants....and not just a few but many.  I suspect installing those parking fees and its implementation was killing business at RTC.  I also suspect they didn't want to buy into that reaction until enough months had gone by and they saw the month after month sales impacts on tenants.

21 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Another perspective from Boston Properties several years ago (2011).  If you have 4 minutes and care to watch this video it is an interesting contrast to 2017.

I watched the video.  I think the first speaker Ray Ritchie was also the person that might have first articulated years ago about a proposed increase in parking fees .  Additionally, the non Boston Properties person in this promotional video  referenced the quality of their efforts, called them one of the premier developers in the nation and a great match.

I'd agree with that assessment of a match between Reston and Boston Properties.  I also knew Ray from decades ago.  Definitely one of the people with the most integrity and better people to work with in the commercial real estate industry in the DC region.   Regardless they are a huge business and a huge developer and somehow their financial team and top decision makers (including Ray or not) decided parking fees would be a great way to make a lot of extra money off of a hugely successful development (let alone this stuff about issues with Metro takers or not).

They were wrong.  That happens.  Now they have reversed their thinking and decision making in part if not in full.  They saw this decision and its implementation were killing the golden goose.  Good for the tenants, good for the folks that work in RTC, good for the Reston and neighbors that they can now go there without most if not all of the Pain In the Arse garbage that Boston Properties installed.   Hopefully RTC is full of people walking, people watching, dining and shopping in the near or immediate future.  If not they better get rid of all the fees ASAP...and even with that I'm sure a certain percentage of people who were once regular visitors at RTC might have found better alternatives and might not be back.

Its been fun to watch.  So glad I haven't been a retail tenant in RTC.  I bet this first part of 2017 has been miserable.

It is good news that BP decided to modify some of their parking polices but I think some damage has been done. Peoples' habits have had six months to adapt to going other places and more importantly explore new places. When the Reston Metro Station opens up some of the volume of traffic will increase and make up that deficiency but probably not in the same way Tysons Corners 1 mall has had happened. 

41 minutes ago, lion said:

It is good news that BP decided to modify some of their parking polices but I think some damage has been done. Peoples' habits have had six months to adapt to going other places and more importantly explore new places. When the Reston Metro Station opens up some of the volume of traffic will increase and make up that deficiency but probably not in the same way Tysons Corners 1 mall has had happened. 

A *lot* of very rich, very connected real estate developers are investing a *lot* of money and energy into making Tysons Corner "the next Manhattan" - it wouldn't surprise me at all, largely because I'll be deceased, for it to be *absolutely huge* in 2075. And you know whose land is going to be worth an incredible amount of money? Westwood Country Club.

"Save Evans Farm," my eye. Those bumper stickers will be collectors' items one day, if they aren't already.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

A *lot* of very rich, very connected real estate developers are investing a *lot* of money and energy into making Tysons Corner "the next Manhattan" - it wouldn't surprise me at all, largely because I'll be deceased, for it to be *absolutely huge* in 2075. And you know whose land is going to be worth an incredible amount of money? Westwood Country Club.

"Save Evans Farm," my eye. Those bumper stickers will be collectors' items one day, if they aren't already.

One non real estate investor who has made a killing and who bought so long ago that you can multiply the "killing" by 10 is Clyde's

I think developing Tyson's is going to take decades and decades.  In fact it won't be the next Roslyn to Ballston as I believe the zoning densities are lower.

It will be interesting to hear updates in the coming weeks or months from those who may venture back to RTC with the modified parking policy in effect starting tomorrow.  I have mentioned to several people to gauge their reaction and sadly few knew about it. 

I agree with lion that the damage done and it may take some time to change peoples' habits after 6 months of seeking other options and behavioral change.  It is likely many will not come back or if they do on a more modified basis.  As one who frequented the RTC for the past 15+ years on a weekly basis, I have been there less than 10 times since January.  I know I am not the only one and the apparent declines stated from the retail (restaurant/bar/store) establishments seem significant.  You also have to factor in with the concession of an hour free as well as after 5 PM, the people who work at RTC in offices or for the retail sector are still being charged, so the BP conglomerate is still seeing significant revenue from forced parking that was not there previously.  

I have heard from misc business owners that business is still way off - You have to figure the initial costs for the "advanced" parking system as well as the contracts for all the monitoring and ticketing staff, signage, and that ParkRTC app, had to cost a decent amount of $$ that would have been recouped over a specified amount of time with revenue of the paid parking system.  Tough situation for the business owners, directly affected plus all the others who frequent or used to frequent RTC.

Decided to venture out to RTC and grab a quick bite at Uncle Julio's before a meeting this evening.  On both the way in, parking by the Orange Garage, and on the way out I encountered several people walking around aimlessly trying to figure out how the download the "ParkRTC" app and pay for parking.  Since it was 6 PM when we arrived and 7:15 PM when we left I simply mentioned to them parking was free after 5 PM.  People were obviously relieved - new signage for the FREE after 5 PM may be in the works, but as currently posted it is not nearly enough.  In any case, the RTC was pretty busy for a Summer Tuesday and Jackson's, Mon Ami, Uncle Julio's and The Counter were all decently busy...the busiest I have noticed in months.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 8:20 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Decided to venture out to RTC and grab a quick bite at Uncle Julio's before a meeting this evening.  On both the way in, parking by the Orange Garage, and on the way out I encountered several people walking around aimlessly trying to figure out how the download the "ParkRTC" app and pay for parking.  Since it was 6 PM when we arrived and 7:15 PM when we left I simply mentioned to them parking was free after 5 PM.  People were obviously relieved - new signage for the FREE after 5 PM may be in the works, but as currently posted it is not nearly enough.  In any case, the RTC was pretty busy for a Summer Tuesday and Jackson's, Mon Ami, Uncle Julio's and The Counter were all decently busy...the busiest I have noticed in months.

As of last week when I was there, the app was still accepting payments after 5 as well.  Seems that for the time being, the proverbial tree has fallen in the empty forest.

Having watched this thread with great amusement since it started, I was anxious to experience the alleged horrors of paid parking at RTC. I spent a total of about two minutes downloading the software, setting up my account and paying for the day's parking ($8). Couldn't have been an easier experience, and parking is less costly than my office building in Tysons. Now that parking is free after 5pm, what on earth is/ was the big deal?

RTC is a faux community, populated with chain restaurants, office buildings and apartments. Given that businesses can validate parking and that parking is free during off peak periods I still fail to see the reason for the tempest in the teapot that has been so breathlessly reported on.

21 minutes ago, Keithstg said:

RTC is a faux community, populated with chain restaurants, office buildings and apartments. Given that businesses can validate parking and that parking is free during off peak periods I still fail to see the reason for the tempest in the teapot that at least one of us has so breathlessly reported on.

Yes, but don't forget that it's because of this outrage that the situation has ameliorated - also, Tysons is (or will be) *much* more "Manhattan-like" than Reston.

My guess is that long-term residents of Reston got hosed the most, because they didn't sign up for this nightmare - I remember when "downtown Reston" was essentially *just* the Hyatt.

10 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

My guess is that long-term residents of Reston got hosed the most, because they didn't sign up for this nightmare - I remember when "downtown Reston" was essentially *just* the Hyatt.

I remember that as well - it's probably been 13 years since I was last out here. I also think you may be right about long-term residents, but wouldn't they be more likely to park off-peak? I can't say I have much sympathy for those who had years of free parking for second and third cars, but that may just be me being crotchety.

On 7/27/2017 at 9:20 AM, DonRocks said:

also, Tysons is (or will be) *much* more "Manhattan-like" than Reston.

I've read your mentions of this before. What do you mean by Tysons becoming Manhattan-like? And how in the world will Reston be like that but less so than Tysons? 

Will Springfield become Miami-like? Rockville L.A.-like? Fairfax Chicago-like?

:blink::wacko::blink:

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

I've read your mentions of this before. What do you mean by Tysons becoming Manhattan-like? And how in the world will Reston be like that but less so than Tysons? 

Will Springfield become Miami-like? Rockville L.A.-like? Fairfax Chicago-like?

:blink::wacko::blink:

I'm just parroting what the real-estate developers are touting. I can easily envision Tysons Corner having 80-story buildings 50 years from now.

You can find some of this on Google - here's one article. Here's another.

When I was growing up, you could drive from White Oak to Tysons Corner in about 20 minutes - if you wanted to go to the mall or the Holiday Inn, which were about the only things there. My feeling is this: Why will the real-estate developers of 2030 be any less ambitious (read: throw up the tallest, ugliest buildings you can get away with, and then go retire in Florida leaving the rest of the world to deal with your garbage) than the ones of 2020? Likewise 2040, 2050, etc.

On 7/28/2017 at 10:23 AM, DonRocks said:

I'm just parroting what the real-estate developers are touting. I can easily envision Tysons Corner having 80-story buildings 50 years from now.

I was coming back from DC last night about 10:30 and got off from the toll road at Wiehle Avenue. Amazingly the new high rise building was lite up with purple highlights. Over the past couple of years have seen buildings in Tysons like that kind of accenting but the first for the sleepy little town of Reston.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:23 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Reston Town Center Merchants Are Still Getting Crushed By Paid Parking: Claim

Revenue Still down @ RTC

Still feels awkward parking at the Reston Town Center. Last weekend we actually went to Lake Anne for lunch at the Greek place and it was pretty full. Also the entire complex was teaming with people from the Brew House to the coffee place. I think a good number of people are just going other places. 

On 8/21/2017 at 9:58 AM, lion said:

I was coming back from DC last night about 10:30 and got off from the toll road at Wiehle Avenue. Amazingly the new high rise building was lite up with purple highlights. Over the past couple of years have seen buildings in Tysons like that kind of accenting but the first for the sleepy little town of Reston.

As you get off on Wiehle coming from DC, the office complex immediately to the driver's right is going to be torn down (so I was told by an ex-tenant). Across Wiehe Avenue from that, there's obviously a building well on its way to completion (is this the one you're referring to?) If you turn left on Wiehle, then take a right on Sunrise Valley Drive (where Wiehle dead-ends), you'll eventually hit a pretty large pocket of buildings being constructed. I'm not sure this is related to Tysons so much as it is the Metro, but I guess it's all interconnected. Businesses are going to want to be close to Dulles Airport, and quickly accessible by Metro - I wonder if the same rationale will ever be realized at BWI airport (I don't see how it can't be, if enough years go by - both I-95 and rail lines are already in place; hopefully they'll leave the BW Parkway alone).

Personally, I think self-driving, electric cars will be siphoning a *lot* of business away from Metro Rail at some point, and real estate developers aren't thinking long-term (then again, when have they ever?)

On 8/22/2017 at 10:55 AM, DonRocks said:

As you get off on Wiehle coming from DC, the office complex immediately to the driver's right is going to be torn down (so I was told by an ex-tenant). Across Wiehe Avenue from that, there's obviously a building well on its way to completion (is this the one you're referring to?) If you turn left on Wiehle, then take a right on Sunrise Valley Drive (where Wiehle dead-ends), you'll eventually hit a pretty large pocket of buildings being constructed. I'm not sure this is related to Tysons so much as it is the Metro, but I guess it's all interconnected. Businesses are going to want to be close to Dulles Airport, and quickly accessible by Metro - I wonder if the same rationale will ever be realized at BWI airport (I don't see how it can't be, if enough years go by - both I-95 and rail lines are already in place; hopefully they'll leave the BW Parkway alone).

Personally, I think self-driving, electric cars will be siphoning a *lot* of business away from Metro Rail at some point, and real estate developers aren't thinking long-term (then again, when have they ever?)

Yes the building on its way to completion. At night time it's lite up with small bluish lines perpendicular to the ground kind of like the multi-color one in Tysons. Reston has definitely changed in the past two years quite dramatically. 

On 8/25/2017 at 2:16 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Paid Parking At Reston Town Center Must End: Merchant

...updated article from Reston Patch

Mouthpiece for Reston Town Center Merchants Says His Business Is on the Outs

Red Velvet Cupcakes update

RTC has picked up on the evenings and weekends mainly due to the free parking again. I do think it will remain challenging for businesses in the RTC especially for places like Red Velvet Cupcakes. In a way Boston Properties is remaking it from Reston Town Center to Metro Town Center, RTC ->MTC. The Union Station of the West! All of the larger chains probably are renegotiating their rental agreements and BP will let the smaller units go for a bit while the new hotel and city block get developed. 

Personally 85% of our visits are just to Sweet Green these days. If they opened up another location nearby we would probably go there once a month if at all. 

On 8/25/2017 at 2:16 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Paid Parking At Reston Town Center Must End: Merchant

...updated article from Reston Patch

Mouthpiece for Reston Town Center Merchants Says His Business Is on the Outs

Red Velvet Cupcakes update

That is not only a sadly depressing article, but one that implies "putting the screws" to Red Velvet Cupcakes.  If the landlord won't start "negotiating a lease" till Dec and his lease is up in May....well if he doesn't act elsewhere now....and there is no deal come Dec...then he won't be in business after May, no matter how fast he acts between Dec and May.

Sneaky move by the landlord.  Basically a middle finger to the tenant. 

As to the article there is a certain long term truth there:  Once customers stop coming to a location...not all ever return.   Some do...some don't.  It will take a lot of time to build back customers and visitors.  And all that falls on the landlord, not the tenants.  A debacle.  

Bike Lane was planning to leave as soon as the parking issues started. They are the best biking shop in the area so hopefully they won't have much down time especially since so much new business space is becoming available in the Reston area. 

We have been visiting more regularly to the RTC but usually on the weekends when parking is free. Traffic does seem to have picked up but still noticeably less than before the parking fiasco. 

45 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Huge Number Of Reston Town Center Merchants Are Leaving:

The article states there is 3.6 million square feet.  Most of that has to be office space.  If the retail center is losing 200,000 square feet of tenancy that is an enormous chunk of that space; 1/2, more than half, not sure.  Me thinks that parking debacle screwed up a lot of tenants and pissed off a lot of them.

Likely the parking debacle is the cause - having very limited use for RTC, there are many alternatives in reasonable distance.  At one time perhaps RTC was a destination, however as the suburban landscape is built out, expanded and modified, many other areas are creating their own Town Center-like hubs.  One Loudoun is a great example, although top-heavy with eating establishments, easy to get in/out of and plenty of free parking.  RTC may be an attractive place with all the new rental units, but apparently even they are struggling to fill the buildings. Future Reston Development is in Trouble.

Developers Concerned about Multi-Family Overbuilding in Reston & Tysons

There is substantial information out there about the continued challenges with all the "progress" being built in anticipation of the METRO expansion.