Paid Parking Slowly Killing Reston Town Center?

Ferris Bueller

It was quite packed today with a convention being held in the hotel, the Apple iPhone line and some fall event for local businesses. Still I'm not surprised by tenants leaving, there are multiple commercial properties that can host businesses with as high traffic with a reasonable distance. 

I think they are also screwed Tysons by not building out walking areas and having Rte 7 be underground. If there had done that younger generations would have been more attracted to that geographic area for lifestyle reasons. As is, Tysons at night time has become a dystopian prototype. 

Having this two week break between free periods at Thanksgiving and Christmas...it just seems so petty for consumers, and for retailers brazenly antagonistic to their sales. 

I just don’t see what Boston Properties end game *is*. Every new metro stop along the Silver Line will have a new shopping area. Already development along the greenway at the new stops is going on like gang busters. 

5 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Another longtime RTC Business is closing in January.

That's a real shame. I've frequented Appalachian Spring a little bit even going there this year on Christmas Eve, searching for a last minute present for my wife. Last year, I bought a lovely wooden jewelry box which is quite beautiful and hand made.  Very good attentive service and always helpful. 

Real Estate development pretty much guarantees in this area any mom & pop stores are not going to have 'street' presence in these new quasi downtown areas. 

On 8/22/2017 at 10:55 AM, DonRocks said:

As you get off on Wiehle coming from DC, the office complex immediately to the driver's right is going to be torn down (so I was told by an ex-tenant). Across Wiehe Avenue from that, there's obviously a building well on its way to completion (is this the one you're referring to?)

If it's where Long and Foster and NVCC were located, yes, my Reston office used to be in there, and we couldn't renew our lease and the buildings (2) are going down, it had a large surface lot too, so I can see why.

15 hours ago, lion said:

There simply isn't the infrastructure, roads being the main reason, for all of the new condos and office buildings going up in Reston. 

No there isn't.  We relocated to Tysons because well our building is being torn down AND the traffic in Reston is just horrendous now, there is a lot of traffic in Tysons, but the roads are big enough to keep it moving at least on the routes we need, and we weren't that far from metro either.

On 2/9/2018 at 4:54 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Gourmet Food Store Opening At Reston Town Center

Balducci's is giving Reston another shot, after having closed a Reston location some years ago in favor of a McLean store.  Should be interesting as the location is on the main level of a new apartment building, with garage parking.  

Remarkable they are going to give it another go. I use to frequent the Reston location years ago, this was before there was a Whole Foods locally as well, and at it's best the store usually felt a little bit busy. The location set empty for many years until it became a PetSmart! The new location will be on the 'dead side' of the RTC which use to house FedEx and before that a Ruby Tuesdays, I believe.

Next there is a Lotte going into the Herndon Centre as well as a Sprouts grocery store. All will be in the same plaza as Mom's Organic Market. Finally a Total Wine also inside the Plaza America center with Whole Foods. 

Nothing, directly.  Tyson's development footprint appears to be spilling into the Reston area as development there increases significantly.  Some of the apartment developers have already expressed concern about absorption rates for the new vertical rentals (apartments or condos).  Musing this may be a potential future of empty office space in Reston. 

4 hours ago, Keithstg said:

And this has what to do with the gradual demise of Reston Town center?

2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Nothing, directly.  Tyson's development footprint appears to be spilling into the Reston area as development there increases significantly.  Some of the apartment developers have already expressed concern about absorption rates for the new vertical rentals (apartments or condos).  Musing this may be a potential future of empty office space in Reston. 

My gut is if the developers lay off the parking mess the retail center will remain as the popular downtown of Western Fairfax.  The major issue for the current time being that eating and retailing denizens of RTC found other places to eat drink and dine while the parking snafu/attempted ripoff occurred.  

From Tysons to Reston to Loudoun you have one of the strongest bases of technical talent in the nation.  I don’t see it moving out in mass anytime soon.  

Development and growth tend to have a very erratic pattern though the long term trend has been astoundingly up. I don’t see anything changing on the current horizon

11 hours ago, DaveO said:

My gut is if the developers lay off the parking mess the retail center will remain as the popular downtown of Western Fairfax.  The major issue for the current time being that eating and retailing denizens of RTC found other places to eat drink and dine while the parking snafu/attempted ripoff occurred.  

From Tysons to Reston to Loudoun you have one of the strongest bases of technical talent in the nation.  I don’t see it moving out in mass anytime soon.  

Development and growth tend to have a very erratic pattern though the long term trend has been astoundingly up. I don’t see anything changing on the current horizon

I definitely agree with DaveO, unfortunately Boston Properties' generational leadership change has resulted in taking the let's wait out the situation and keep doing what we are doing.

My question is how much money are they getting for generating shopping data and data mining for commerce from their app. As license plate readers (~$500) become more prevalent due to their low cost of implementation expect more food related industries to be effected. 

43 minutes ago, lion said:

My question is how much money are they getting for generating shopping data and data mining for commerce from their app. As license plate readers (~$500) become more prevalent due to their low cost of implementation expect more food related industries to be effected. 

Oh crap!  So now landlord(s) can get into the privacy data collection business as well as ISP’s and the big kahunas of corporate control of privacy information (google, Amazon and Facebook).  

Getting back to Reston;  It is  such a highly coveted location for tech centric businesses and has been for decades and continues to grow in that regard.  It manufactures jobs nearby residents and visitors.  

In a certain context Boston Properties came up with the worst possible idea for RTC and backed off once they saw how destructive it was.  

I think they learned their lesson

As New Tenants Come to Reston Town Center, Current Businesses Report Losses Due to Paid Parking

• Big Bowl reported a 15 percent drop in sales compared to 2016. A major portion of the drop happened during lunch hours, when parking is not free.
  • Ben and Jerry’s estimated a 10 percent decrease in sales.
  • Pitango reports an 11 percent drop in sales last year, as compared to 2016.
  • Edibles Incredible Desserts reported $135,000 in losses last year compared to the previous year.
  • PR Partners says its new quest business is down an average of between 25 and 30 percent “as a result of paid parking.”

Muse Paintbar is Coming to Reston Town Center

The wine-and-paint studio will have a 3,000-square-foot storefront, currently the home of The Eyewear Gallery.

The Bike Lane Plans to Relocate to Sunset Hills Road in May

Longtime Reston Town Center tenant The Bike Lane plans to relocate to 11150 Sunset Hills Road in May.

The new location will allow the business to capitalize on direct access to the Washington & Old Dominion Trail. The space will also incorporate a coffee bar and micro brewery, in addition to free parking for customers.

Fairfax County Rejects Redevelopment Proposal for Phase One of Reston Town Center North

RTC North, which is located south of Bowman Towne Drive, will be developed through a public-private partnership. The first phase of development, blocks seven and eight, could include more than 420 residential units, an expanded homeless shelter and library, private commercial development and office space for nonprofit organization.

An advisory committee with representation from Reston citizens and senior county staff first recommended denying the proposal. The county will continue examining other development proposals in the coming months.