Cuchara - Mexico City-Focused Bistro Run by an All-Female Kitchen Staff in Montrose

Josh

We were absolutely blown away by dinner tonight at Cuchara.  A kind of last minute decision, with kids in tow, all we needed was a couple beers, a patio, and adequate food.  What we got were aggressive, authentic micheladas, perfectly crafted, soulful Mexican dishes, and...a patio.

We started with a trio of dishes to share (and the portion sizes really are ample enough for sharing): huitlacoche quesadillas, nopalitos, and tacos chero.  The quesadillas resemble empanadas more than what I've become accustomed to, but were filled with delicious white cheese and huitlacoche.  Drizzled with cream, these are served with a small side of a smoky and a bit more than medium spicy salsa.  The nopalitos are served essentially as a salsa, the cactus paddles diced with tomato, onion, and cilantro, alongside a plate of crisp tortilla chips.  The tacos cheer were my favorite of the starters, 3 crispy rolled tacos filled with mashed potato and topped with an eye-opening salsa verde and crumbled cheese.  Addictive.

The huachinango Veracruzano comes in a small cast iron skillet.  A sweet plantain and amaranth cake is topped with red snapper in a rich tomato sauce with peppers (both fresh and pickled), olives, and onion.  The perfect balance of all the flavors here reveals a kitchen that knows their game.  Sweet met salty.  Sour held hands with rich, and everyone played nicely without a cross word.  Bravo.

Finally, the mole verde won me over by avoiding the dullness I often find with the sauce.  Many times, the pumpkin seeds round out any fun sharp edges of the sauce, but Cuchara's version had plenty of piquancy to compliment the tender cubes of pork tenderloin bathed in it.  

I love getting blindsided by a delicious meal, and Cuchara completely won me over tonight.  We'll be back to explore more of the menu (and definitely to try the unique brunch offerings).

• Like 2