Rye....Generally Speaking

Pool Boy

I use a Rittenhouse Rye that is 100 proof for rye based cocktails. I tend to sip stuff like Bulleit.  I am curious what other folks might use for rye-based cocktails and why. I have a love of the earthy whiskey, and just trying to expand my horizons on what might work better in certain cocktail situations (or not!). TIA!

There's some discussion of rye in the whiskey thread, but I'm currently using Redemption Rye. I like their products. I think for the price they're quite delicious and the rye is readily available at my local Total Wine. Probably not all that helpful in terms of your question about which ones work better for what, but my budget doesn't really allow for me to have a variety of whiskeys of various costs anymore so if I find something reasonably priced that I like, I go with it. :)

• Like 2

I am a big fan of high proof whiskey but, for some reason, but I just don't like Rittenhouse.  Every time I've made a cocktail with it I have trouble with balancing the heat.  My favorite for mixing is the Sazerac 6 Year.  Right now I am using Russel's Reserve 6 year small batch, which I bought because I love the Russel's reserve single barrel bourbon.  It's pricey, and the taste is too thin for my taste.  I also really like the Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye for sipping and expensive Manhattans.

I just ordered a bottle of Old Potrero Single Malt Rye that I am looking forward to sipping.

On 2/17/2017 at 7:19 PM, Law Taco said:

I am a big fan of high proof whiskey but, for some reason, but I just don't like Rittenhouse.  Every time I've made a cocktail with it I have trouble with balancing the heat.  My favorite for mixing is the Sazerac 6 Year.  Right now I am using Russel's Reserve 6 year small batch, which I bought because I love the Russel's reserve single barrel bourbon.  It's pricey, and the taste is too thin for my taste.  I also really like the Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye for sipping and expensive Manhattans.

I just ordered a bottle of Old Potrero Single Malt Rye that I am looking forward to sipping.

I've considered trying Catoctin before - that for the suggestion (when I feel like the splurge).

On 4/7/2017 at 11:36 PM, Gadarene said:

I've found High West Double Rye to be a really good value for a sipper.  And, of course, you really can't beat Old Overholt for cocktails, at least cost-wise.

I recently bought a bottle of Pikesville to try. It's pretty good and possibly a little overkill for cocktails. I need to try it on its own for a full measure one of these days.

Been sipping Ryemageddon of late and liking their 'messed with' variation for now. It's like trying on a new pair of jeans or an Hawaiian shirst and deciding if you ike it at all, or like it for now, or like it forever. I am in the like it for now zone and trying to decide if I move on and try something else.