Sushi in Downtown San Francisco

DanCole42

Dan, if you could please, please, please make the drive south to San Mateo and go to Sushi Sam's, you'll love me forever. I can't promise you it's what it once was, but several years ago, it was better than anything I ever had in America.

And, an omakase is reasonable enough so that renting a car is worth it. If you need another opinion, Eric Ziebold told me that he used to regularly drive there from Yountville (which is about an hour north of San Francisco) when he worked at The French Laundry. Eric was the one who told me the chef might be getting a bit complacent in that he doesn't change things much, but that has *no* effect on the quality of things there. 

You'll remember his lemon zest in a couple of nigiri pieces for as long as you live. Scroll up in the San Francisco thread - I'm certain I posted about it before, perhaps three years ago.

Don- I did see your post about Sushi Sam's, and about Eric Z's trips down there, I'm just not sure it's in the cards for the group I'm with. My thought process was, "Man, that looks amazing. I hope Don has something else up his sleeve. Better post in Help Needed to find out." :)

6 hours ago, DanCole42 said:

Don- I did see your post about Sushi Sam's, and about Eric Z's trips down there, I'm just not sure it's in the cards for the group I'm with. My thought process was, "Man, that looks amazing. I hope Don has something else up his sleeve. Better post in Help Needed to find out." :)

Take a look at the Michelin one-star Japanese spots in San Francisco - I'll bet they're *very* good, and if you have any specific questions, I'll dig deeper for you.