"Life of Pi,"2012 American drama directed by Ang Lee, based on Yann Martel's 2001 novel of the same name

DIShGo

Ang Lee makes visually stunning movies, and "Life of Pi" is no exception. Breathtakingly beautiful, this film tells the story of a 16-year-old Indian boy stranded at sea on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger.

The film is based on the 2001 Yann Martel novel of the same name. I read the book shortly after it was released, and I loved it. Skeptics said this novel could never be made into a film, and having read it, I understood why they said this. But Ang Lee is a gifted director, and this story is tailor-made to his movie-making style. Not only was the tale well told, staying true to the novel, but in some ways it was improved upon with Lee's gift for creating dazzling displays for our eyes.

I have now seen this film three times, as well as having read the book, and I do not tire of the story. I don't want to say too much here, because knowing less about the story will enhance your enjoyment of it.

If you haven't read the book, and you don't know much about this film, DO NOT read any plot summaries about it until after you have watched it. 

On my third viewing, I was as moved as the first two times, yet my thoughts about the challenges the young boy faces on the boat were different tonight than when I watched it four years ago.

"Life of Pi" is a film about faith, hope, detemination and survival. It is about facing adversity and finding the strength we didn't know existed in us. It is a beautiful and life-affirming film, and one that I highly recommend. 

• Like 1