Books & Brews @ Forge Brew Works - a Book Discussion Group (with Beer!)

Biscuit Girl

I am starting a book group through my library (Kingstowne Library - Fairfax County) on April 6th called Books & Brews in partnership with Forge Brew Works where the group will meet.

Our first meeting will be April 6th at 7:00pm and will continue on the first Thursday of each month at 6:30pm. We are in the process of choosing which book to read.  I've selected three and are asking those interested in attending to pick one.  All of the titles are readily available in the Fairfax County Library system in a number of formats. If you have a library card, simply stop by your branch or go online to request a copy. If you don’t have a card, you may get one by bringing in a photo ID with your current address; they’ll get you a card and a copy of the book.

Take a look and send email me here by Feb 24. Votes will be tallied and I'll follow-up to respondents with the selected title on Feb 25. This should allow you time to come to the meeting having read the chosen book. Feel free to come with suggestions you'd like to read next time.

The three titles to choose from are: 

A Train In Winter: an extraordinary story of women, friendship, and resistance in occupied France by Caroline Moorehead. (Biography/History)

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (Classic)

The Lifeboat – by Charlotte Rogan (Fiction)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biscuit Girl said:

I am starting a book group through my library (Kingstowne Library - Fairfax County) on April 6th called Books & Brews in partnership with Forge Brew Works where the group will meet.

Our first meeting will be April 6th at 7:00pm and will continue on the first Thursday of each month at 6:30pm. We are in the process of choosing which book to read.  I've selected three and are asking those interested in attending to pick one.  All of the titles are readily available in the Fairfax County Library system in a number of formats. If you have a library card, simply stop by your branch or go online to request a copy. If you don’t have a card, you may get one by bringing in a photo ID with your current address; they’ll get you a card and a copy of the book.

Take a look and send email me here by Feb 24. Votes will be tallied and I'll follow-up to respondents with the selected title on Feb 25. This should allow you time to come to the meeting having read the chosen book. Feel free to come with suggestions you'd like to read next time.

The three titles to choose from are: 

A Train In Winter: an extraordinary story of women, friendship, and resistance in occupied France by Caroline Moorehead. (Biography/History)

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (Classic)

The Lifeboat – by Charlotte Rogan (Fiction)

I would *love* to join a book discussion club (that's actually what I want our Literature Forum to be (*)), but I currently have about 90 pages left in "Red Sorghum," after which I *might* read something super-quick for a rest. (It shouldn't surprise anyone that I just bought this, which interests me because it was written before he was ultra-famous.)

But then?

I decided to take the three books that intimidate me more than any others (and that I thought I would *never, ever* read), and read 3 - and only 3 - pages per day, of each one, until I'm finished all three books. I'm also going to be memorizing 3 words per day from the Oxford Spanish Dictionary - I have an algorithm that I use that actually works (don't laugh - that's how I became fluent in French - I completely wore out *four* Oxford-Hachette dictionaries in about three years, at over $35 each, and then I went through two Petit-Roberts (at over $150 each) - less expensive than a college degree, I guess.

See you sometime in the Spring of 2018

---

(*) Listen: If anyone wants to start an online discussion of a really good, important work of literature (like we did with "Troilus and Cressida"), I'll fit it in.

• Like 1

The August Books & Brews will have a special guest, Garrett Peck.  He is the author of Capital Beer: A Heady History of Brewing in Washington, DC.  The group meets on Thursday August 3rd at 6:30 at Forge Brew Works in Lorton, VA.  Copies of the book at available at local FCPL libraries. In addition, Mr. Peck will bring copies of this and other books he has written to the event for purchase.

Hope to see some of you there!

book_club_flyer - August 2017 small.jpg

The December book for Books & Brews will be The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Out of the depths of the Depression comes an irresistible story about beating the odds and finding hope in the most desperate of times—the improbable, intimate account of how nine working-class boys from the American West showed the world at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin what true grit really meant.

Upcoming books for Books & Brews:

February - The Light Between Oceans - M.L. Stedman

March - My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry - Fredik Backman

April - The Cold Dish: a Walt Lomgmire novel - Craig Johnson

We meet at Forge Brew Works in Lorton, VA 8532 Terminal Rd. 22079

With Forge Brew Works closing soon and relocating to Warrenton under a new name, Barking Rose, we are taking the book group to Fair Winds Brewing located at 7000 Newington Road, Lorton, VA 22079.  Same time and dates....first Thursdays at 6:30.  Upcoming books for the summer are:

June 6 - Pachinko

July 11 - Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (date moved due to holiday)

August 1 - Lincoln in the Bardo

If you've never been, please join us!

• Like 1