Alma Cocina Latina - Chef Enrique Limardo's Modern Venezuelan in The Can Company in Canton

Was really impressed by this place tonight. Every dish has really interesting ingredients, flavors and especially techniques. The plating was also strikingly beautiful.  We enjoyed the tuna, a veggie dish, a huge Cuban sandwich and a chicken milanesa. Highly recommended. Pic of tuna below.

ATÚN AL AJILLO
Seared Tuna, guasacaca purée, marble potatoes, raw salicornia, aguachile, red bell pepper water, heart of palm emulsion, Alma sauce, micro greens (gf)

vde7va.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/15/2018 at 11:03 PM, Steve R. said:

Anyone have any additional thoughts on Alma?  We’re stopping by Baltimore for one night next week to visit friends & they suggested it for dinner.

[Folks, for twelve years, we've been incredibly weak in Baltimore, despite my having tried my best to make it viable. Now, people are starting to chime in, but I'm so busy with the website in general that I struggle to get things properly organized and indexed. WE NEED BALTIMORE FORUM HOSTS. Anyone? I need to get things indexed et al, just like Josh does in Houston, for example - it's such a relief to have him there so I don't feel rushed to get things done myself; here, it's complete chaos until I step in and organize. The entire guide needs to be redone - can someone volunteer to help? Also, if you see a "Help Needed"-type post like Steve R.'s, would you please do your best to help your fellow members? I'm really happy that Baltimore seems to be finally catching on (you have no idea how hard I've tried), but it has sort-of sucker-punched me, and right now I'm doing the work of at least ten people. For example, there's no reason we should have this as one entry in the Dining Guide:

Canton/Brewers Hill/Highlandtown/East Baltimore <--- These each need their own areas

The loneliest post in the world is one where the poster answers their own call for help (it doesn't happen often, but it happens sometimes) - please try and help your fellow members when they need it. For example, Alma's recent tweet said that they just rolled out an Arroz con Pollo dish, which could be useful information - even parking information for The Tin Can Company (where Alma resides) would be useful. Lurkers, if you're out there - we need your help with things like this - please sign up and join, and write me when you do. Cheers, DR]

Screenshot 2018-03-25 at 07.07.52.png

On 3/24/2018 at 7:49 PM, Steve R. said:

It was very good.

As I said, I thought Alma Cocina Latina http://almacocinalatina.com was pretty damn good.  I freely admit that I would never had gone there if not for our local friends who insisted that the food is way better than one would expect from the somewhat glitzy, dramatic website & is well worth the not cheap prices being charged.  Besides, they had a 10% off coupon from the last time they went -- apparently the owner gives them to repeat customers & they had collected quite a few (we used one, after I unsuccessfully tried to get the waitress to accept 10 of them for a 100% discount).  They were correct and the kitchen is churning out food that is rich in taste and unique.  As there were 5 of us who like to eat, we sampled lots of dishes & just about all were interesting & satisfying.  They have an overstuffed version of a "slow smoked pig" arepa that is crispy yet maintains the taste of arepa, with a filling that is plentiful enough to justify its $17 price tag.  This could make a great large app. for 2 people -- we shared 2 of them.  Both their yucca fries and their chicken wings were interesting and large enough to share as well ($10 each).  Their salmon & tuna ceviche was also a winner ($19).  So, 5 apps., enough really for 7-8 people, averaged around $15pp.  Since 3 of the 5 of us live in Baltimore and can take leftovers home, we decided to go for 5 entrees as well.  This resulted in about a 20% overage and I'd guess that 2 people could easily share 1 entree after the apps.   The Short Rib dish ($23) was excellent, I didn't taste the Salmon ($32) but everyone else loved it, the 2 orders of Stone Pot Stew (Pan-seared octopus & morcilla, marble potatoes, lentils, Cotija cheese, garlic, corn, red onion, cilantro, vuelve a la vida sauce - $25per order) were great, but the Ossobuco ($30) was the standout dish.  In each, the tastes came from spicing and saucing that made the dish more interesting and different from the run of the mill versions.  We had wine (only one bottle), we had cocktails (4 total), we had coffee (2) and desserts (2).  With the coupon, the all in total was $75pp.  Yep, under $100pp -- money well spent.  So, if in Baltimore....

• Like 2