Napa Winery Tours

MarkS

Amazing review.  I'll be at AD Hoc next weekend, can't wait.

---

I'll be in Napa next weekend and looking to set up one more winery visit.  Much prefer intimate and curated tours over the ones where you stand in a tasting room vying for the next sip. Last year we sat with winemaker Dennis Johns of Round2 and white Cottage in his house and were given a several hour conversation on his beliefs and philosophy.  We have appts at Venge( I met Kurt the other week at a diner), Cade and Chapellet and are looking for one other.  We do random, semi planned stops as well but too many of those lead to early nights. I.E. one year after a cellar tour at Flora Springs the guide sat down with us and opened 10+ bottles of Trilogy.

So please let me know your one favorite tour/winery in the Napa Valley.

I'll be in Napa next weekend and looking to set up one more winery visit.  Much prefer intimate and curated tours over the ones where you stand in a tasting room vying for the next sip. Last year we sat with winemaker Dennis Johns of Round2 and white Cottage in his house and were given a several hour conversation on his beliefs and philosophy.  We have appts at Venge( I met Kurt the other week at a diner), Cade and Chapellet and are looking for one other.  We do random, semi planned stops as well but too many of those lead to early nights. I.E. one year after a cellar tour at Flora Springs the guide sat down with us and opened 10+ bottles of Trilogy.

So please let me know your one favorite tour/winery in the Napa Valley.

Pride Mountain. Perhaps not intimate, but the views are gorgeous and it's a great place to have picnics.  Plus they were super-accommodating when we brought our then-5 month-old son on the tour.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 4:37 PM, Keithstg said:

Realm. Outpost. Copain. Failla. Harris Estate.

ok, so more than one, but all different and worthy of consideration.

Realm was on my list...I'm actually debating which wines from my allocation to purchase.  Would love your thoughts on the winery itself and which wines you've enjoyed from them since it would be my first time purchasing.

11 hours ago, Rovers2000 said:

Realm was on my list...I'm actually debating which wines from my allocation to purchase.  Would love your thoughts on the winery itself and which wines you've enjoyed from them since it would be my first time purchasing.

Great! I am a big fan of the winery, and have been buying since their second vintage. Of the single vineyards I typically buy a case of Farella, as coombsville cabs really seem to suit my palate more than the beckstoffer's. Of those, I prefer Dr. Crane. I typically do a case of farella and a half dozen dr's. No experience with the white wine or Houyi.

That said, I do love the blends, and buy the Bard and Tempest in quantity each fall. To my palate they are ripe, but still remain lithe. Jammy and mouth-coating are not words I look for in wine (or anything really), and I think that Realm is a great example of walking the tightrope between correct (to me) and too ripe.

The wines are built to age as well. Still drinking 04's and 05's which have a lot of life left. Haven't touched anything newer yet.

• Like 1