Epic Steakhouse, Chef Parke Ulrich at the Foot of the Bay Bridge - The Embarcadero

EPIC Steakhouse is easily one of the best San Francisco steak houses, and most of the "Best of" lists confirm that. Even better, it's not a chain!

We waited in the upstairs bar until our table was ready, and I can attest to a large wine list and solid spirits program.

I had the Dungeness Crab Cocktail, which was outstanding, and the Prime Dry Aged Bone-in 20 oz. New York Strip. Wow, what a meal. Everything was perfect, and then some.

This is not a place for the financially timid - the crab was $21 and the steak was $61, but I was happy to pay for such a high quality meal. 

6 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

EPIC Steakhouse is easily one of the best San Francisco steak houses, and most of the "Best of" lists confirm that. Even better, it's not a chain!

We waited in the upstairs bar until our table was ready, and I can attest to a large wine list and solid spirits program.

I had the Dungeness Crab Cocktail, which was outstanding, and the Prime Dry Aged Bone-in 20 oz. New York Strip. Wow, what a meal. Everything was perfect, and then some.

This is not a place for the financially timid - the crab was $21 and the steak was $61, but I was happy to pay for such a high quality meal. 

When Chef Parke Ulrich took over in late 2013, this restaurant was called "Epic Roasthouse" - the plan was to change it into a first-class steakhouse.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure this is San Francisco's best steak, and I can safely assert it's San Francisco's best dining view. I sat in the room with a direct view of the Bay Bridge, and at night the Bay Bridge has strings of lights that undulate with the wind for an incredible visual effect. And, true to San Francisco, the Bay Lights are an actual art exhibit.

My steak was tender, juicy, beefy, and delicious. I wish Washington DC had a steakhouse like this, rather than the chain outposts that dominate our carnivore scene. Between Epic and John's Grill, San Francisco is my preferred destination for a solid steak dinner.