La Ong Thai Bistro, Thai with Delivery and Gluten Free Menu in Fox Mill Center, Herndon

My seven year-old daughter won't eat anything "exotic" except Pad Thai, so we checked this joint out Friday night.

Service was friendly, but it took a long time for our food to arrive even though the restaurant still had a few empty tables. I ordered the Spicy Beef Salad to start and the Slow-braised Pork as my entree. The salad was disappointing with its browning root ends of iceberg lettuce. I wouldn't say the beef, which I'm pretty sure was flank, was gamy, but perhaps it was a heavy hand on the fish sauce that overpowered the beef flavor. I started off enjoying the pork, but with each bite the sauce tasted sweeter and sweeter until it seemed like I could have put the sauce on some vanilla ice cream and it would have been good. Additionally, about a third of the chunks of pork were virtually all fat.

The Pad Thai, however, was about as good as I've had. The noodles weren't gummy, greasy or dry, the veggies were fresh, and it had just enough of that smokiness to make it interesting. I couldn't believe how much she ate!

The location of the bathroom was a little weird. You have to squeeze your way through the expediting area of the kitchen to get there. 

La Ong Thai Website

We've been going there since it opened and I thought I had started a thread about it already... When it first opened up the taste of the food was much higher. I would have put it closer to Sisters Thai and was quite happy to have it so nearby. However after getting food from over twenty times, the taste has dropped to a more generic non spicy Thai tasting flavor in most of the dishes we order on a regular basis. The restaurant is popular and a nice decor for a strip mall. They do a good amount of business both in restaurant and take out. Staff is fairly attentive.

For Thai cuisine, I would prefer Elephant Jumps then Sisters Thai in the NOVA area, unfortunately it's not close by in the neighborhood. 

• Like 1