Road Rage - Never a Good Idea, but Sometimes Worse than Others

DonRocks

Folks, this video is funny, but here's something very serious to think about:

Anyone who's crazy enough to approach you in your car these days, is very likely to be carrying a gun. Evander Holyfield makes for a poignant (and funny) PSA, but even Holyfield is no match for a bullet, and neither are you, and I don't care if you bench press 400 pounds and are a grandmaster in your chosen field of combat.

Thirty years ago, I kept a supply of pennies in my car, so I could loft them out my window at trucks who got on my ass (I also had a couple of used sparkplugs) - I never tossed out either, but they somehow made me feel "like I was tough" - I was 25 and a moron, never once thinking that somebody might pull a gun on me. I also had a blackjack in my car, which is equally useless against a gun.

Don't do it. No matter how wrong the other person is, say, "I'm really sorry - I should have been more careful," reach out to shake his (her?) hand, and then move on (*): Your life is worth too much to give it up to some gun nut. If you have a dash-cam, so much the better - call 911 (make *very* sure to write the license plate, make, and model down), and let the police start the process of revoking this person's driver's license, instead of taking your chances against the unknown.

(*) And you know what else? Don't do this because you're "afraid"; do it because you love your fellow man. Yeah, there are a lot of jerks in this world, and sometimes the jerkiest of jerks get furious and feel the need to show it, but so what? Be big by showing that you care about them, even though they're flaming assholes, and I'm being dead-serious about that. Kindness overwhelms toughness, and being kind *in no way* implies that you aren't also tough.