Dining in Mosaic District and Halstead Square

Related thread: Dining in Merrifield

The development of the Mosaic District and Halstead Square to its north made me believe that NoVA would no longer be a culinary wasteland.  My dream was utterly crushed.

The restaurants that came and gave me hope have all sank back to mediocrity.  

First, Ovvio - I think the opening chef lasted a week.  Ever since then, the menu has stagnated and while the food isn't bad, it isn't really all that exciting.  

Second, Brine.  Wow, seafood in NoVA.  That menu is stagnate too.  Lamb and clam and plankton pasta are good, but not good enough to eat every month, or every other month.  In fact, most of the entrees are now land based proteins.  

Third, Gypsy Soul.  I loved that place, but it closed.  WTF!

Fourth, Requin.  Ooh, a Top Chef contestant trained by Eric Ripert!  Except she's never there, and I think the food there went downhill fast.

To be fair, there are some decent ethnic joints - Jinya, Sisters Thai, Four Sisters but I can get better Asian food elsewhere that's cheaper.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

The development of the Mosaic District and Halstead Square to its north made me believe that NoVA would no longer be a culinary wasteland.  My dream was utterly crushed.

The restaurants that came and gave me hope have all sank back to mediocrity.  

I was there today at lunchtime and the parking garage was packed for several levels and many people were walking around. I think it works at a 'town center' for the surrounding areas, however lacks any real character that naturally would have occurred, if it wasn't planned development. As a matter of fact, does any shopping center in the 'town center' or 'district' style have high quality food? At best, the food is pleasing and the overall experience is pleasurable since there is no offending element. 

Intellectually I understand they are the equivalent of the same summer blockbuster movie playing to the largest audience and easily digestible. its just the economics of the rent I suppose. 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2017 at 11:00 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

First, Ovvio - I think the opening chef lasted a week.  Ever since then, the menu has stagnated and while the food isn't bad, it isn't really all that exciting.  

I agree with you--my first two initial visits were great, and then the owners made some changes that were mistakes. Haven't been back in ages.

Third, Gypsy Soul.  I loved that place, but it closed.  WTF!

Fourth, Requin.  Ooh, a Top Chef contestant trained by Eric Ripert!  Except she's never there, and I think the food there went downhill fast.

To be fair, there are some decent ethnic joints - Jinya, Sisters Thai, Four Sisters but I can get better Asian food elsewhere that's cheaper.

I agree with you about Ovvio--my first two visits were great, and then the owners made some changes that were mistakes. Haven't been back in ages.

Gypsy Soul had promise, and I miss the food, but not the "interesting" atmosphere.

I thought DGS Delicatessen was quite good during my first visit, but I was underwhelmed a couple of weeks ago. 

I"ve been to Requin a number of times, and I've seen Jen there, working the pass, nearly every time. They've made several adjustments to the menu, and while Requin is not perfect, or inexpensive, I think it's the best restaurant in the Mosaic area, and you can find food there that you won't find anywhere else in Nova. (That may be a bit of a generalization) There's no doubt it's one of Isabella's restaurants, though. They just started offering the $35 endless brunch--the same thing offered at Kapnos Taverna. 

As someone who lives in Fairfax City, I agree the food scene is disappointing. Other than ABC Canteen, Requin, and Red Apron/B-Side, I haven't found many places that are "crave-worthy". I enjoy the Fairfax Sisters Thai and Curry Mantra for delivery/takeout, and as a native Texan, I'm glad Chuy's is close.

*I don't know how to use partial quotes, so I just deleted your Brine comment. 

I am glad a couple of you took one for the team at Ovvio.  I met the opening team at a nearby bar when they had finished a soft opening evening, and it sounded great.  But then I read on here or somewhere else that there was a big upheaval in chef/staff.

Alta Strada was supposed to be opening in Merrifield this week, which may provide the destination that everyone is hoping for.  I have not tried the one downtown, but have read some good reviews, so am hoping to get there soon.

ETA: I honestly meant to say "Mosaic" instead of "Merrifield" above, but having grown up about a mile from there, old habits die hard!

Edited by JBag57
  • Like 1

Agree on Ovvio.  Went once when it opened and thought it was okay. Then the Chef left.

I live next to the Mosaic and visit Requin from time to time.  Jen has been there every time I have dined there.

Went to Alta Strada.  They need some time to work out the kinks.

If I am working from home, I go during lunch time and usually to grab a sub from Taylor, a salad from Sweetgreen, or now visit Choolah for a quick wrap.