Do you want to try it straight or in a dish?  For the former, any high-quality sushi restaurant will have it (I'd recommend going with nigiri over sashimi if you have both options, as the soft texture and rich flavor are balanced by the rice).  Sushi Ogawa had Maine, California, and Japanese uni on a visit a few months ago, which would be a good way to side-by-side the geographical differences (I tend to prefer California uni to Maine, as I find it sweeter/creamier.)  To try it as part of a composed dish, you're likely going for Japanese or Italian.  Izakaya Seki's uni with quail is an unctuous delight.  Himitsu has it atop chawanmushi (which I haven't tried, but sounds delicious, and they're good at pretty much everything) or as nigiri/sashimi.  Morini's bucatini has uni, crab, and tomato and has been very good (and is basically always available), and I believe that Fiola Mare sometimes does an uni bucatini as well (although the uni is more of an accent than the star in most pasta dishes).  (I believe the District Fishwife in Union Market sometimes sells it as well, if you're inclined to take it home.)  When I first started eating uni, I found the texture to be off-putting; if you're texturally sensitive, a composed dish may be the way to go.  

• Like 8

Kaz offers uni as either nigiri or sashimi, if you want to get its cleanest flavor. I don't care for uni because I don't like either the texture or the iodine flavor, so if either of those is an issue for you, I'd recommend trying it in a composed dish.

Not helpful here, but the last uni I ate before leaving Japan was in this wonderful chawanmushi flavored with yuzu. I still think about it, and that was almost eight years ago.

6 minutes ago, eatruneat said:

Washington City Paper's Laura Hayes asks, have we reached peak uni? 

My answer: no.

Nobody knows uni better than Cedric Maupillier, who, as a young teen, used to sea-kayak out to an island in the Mediterranean, catch uni clinging to the rocks, and eat it with his hunting knife. It was his "rite of passage," he once told me.

Now I'll spend the next three hours fretting about whether to name this thread "Uni" or "Sea Urchin." Thanks a lot!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Nobody knows uni better than Cedric Maupillier, who, as a young teen, used to sea-kayak out to an island in the Mediterranean, catch uni clinging to the rocks, and eat it with his hunting knife. It was his "rite of passage," he once told me.

Now I'll spend the next three hours fretting about whether to name this thread "Uni" or "Sea Urchin." Thanks a lot!