11 hours ago, reedm said:

I'd like to know where I can find them in markets/stores.

One vendor had them at the Falls Church farmer's market last weekend, $5 for a quart box.  The stand was on the bottom half of the L, sort of across from the lettuce lady and near the Turkish food vendor

• Like 1

16 hours ago, reedm said:

I'd like to know where I can find them in markets/stores.

Note also the Ramps thread in the Shopping and Cooking Forum. (If you see them at restaurants, write your post here; if you see them at markets or stores, write your post there - I understand people think I'm a ninny for making such a distinction, but it's a very clear-cut distinction).

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

I don't get the enthusiasm about ramps. They're fine and all, but what's the big deal?

I'm kind of with you on this. Ramps are fine, and I do tend to order them when I see them, but I think it's their extreme seasonality that's the big attraction. I've actually never had them simply prepared with something like olive oil or butter, and some sea salt - that might up my appreciation for them; in just about every prep I've had, they're drowned out by other ingredients. Now, a ramp soufflé - something that intensifies the flavor (i.e., makes them taste rampier than ramps) - that's something I'd travel for.

Cheers,
The Theoretical Chef

46 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I'm kind of with you on this. Ramps are fine, and I do tend to order them when I see them, but I think it's their extreme seasonality that's the big attraction. I've actually never had them simply prepared with something like olive oil or butter, and some sea salt - that might up my appreciation for them; in just about every prep I've had, they're drowned out by other ingredients. Now, a ramp soufflé - something that intensifies the flavor (i.e., makes them taste rampier than ramps) - that's something I'd travel for.

Cheers,
The Theoretical Chef

It's totally a seasonal thing -- just like fiddleheads, garlic scapes, etc. My brother the Belgrade Lakes Maine pizzaiolo (Check out 168 Main on Yelp) puts ramps on his pies when he can get them. We like these things, but really, nice green onions work just fine too.

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I don't get the enthusiasm about ramps. They're fine and all, but what's the big deal?

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Ramps are fine, and I do tend to order them when I see them, but I think it's their extreme seasonality that's the big attraction.

seasonality obviously plays a part (as it does with pretty much any coveted culinary ingredient), but ramps, with their green leaves, white stems, and more delicate flavor, are more versatile than scallions (which i also love, don't get me wrong).  like scallions, they take well to the grill, but like scapes, they are mellow enough that you don't have to cook them or use them sparingly.  give ramps a quick grill/saute and they make a stellar pesto with just some salt, lemon juice, and olive oil, which is great on bread or pasta (which freezes well for winter use).  the white parts can be pickled and used in all sorts of preparations for a hit of allium and acid.  

• Like 3