Cosmos Club - Private Social Club near Embassy Row, Founded in 1878

Because of a career transition, I have found myself at the Cosmos Club many times in 2017 and yet, am not a member. I don't know if that makes my review more or less biased because I actually cannot pick up the bill at Cosmos. I am a fan. First off, the service is absolutely perfect. Second, the building is amazing, beautiful, old, and historic. Third, the walls are full of history. Forth, I feel incredibly young and extraordinarily beautiful when I dine at Cosmos. If you exclude grandchildren, I am usually the youngest in the room by about 20 years. It's amazing.

But really, I'm here to tell you about the food. When I first went to dine, I assumed that I would get a big baked potato with sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon bits. I had, however, a very lovely lobster salad that was lightly, and yet perfectly dressed.  ALso, I'm a huge soup and crab fan. Even though their crab soup has square carrots in it, I love it. It's very good and the crab is, I think, added at the end so it keeps its crabby, sweetness.

My theory is that the average age of the members is quite advanced and their chef is personally invested in keeping them all alive as long as possible so created a wonderful, light, tasty, healthy menu.  He should be commended.

• Like 4

The gent who was president of the legal publisher I worked for in the 90's on 20th St was a member and brought our whole office there for some celebratory luncheon. I can't remember any details about it, other than no wine was served. I think the fare was more typical banquet material at that time. 

I've had the (buffet-style) brunch here a few times. Not too recently, but I can't imagine that the rate of change is very fast. IIRC the breakfasty items are okay, while the lunchy items are ultra-bland. Highlights were usually the popovers and desserts. The clientele is indeed really really old and I have no idea how places like this survive in the long run.

After reading a bit about the Club it sounds like their pursuit of intellectual excellence is admirable compared to other clubs of the era it was founded. 

I always would have liked a culinary club where perhaps people would meet once a month and have experts come to inform about different cuisines to help introduce new tastes or even refine our tastebuds.  Probably my romantic imagination thinking there most be long standing clubs that function in that regard. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lion said:

After reading a bit about the Club it sounds like their pursuit of intellectual excellence is admirable compared to other clubs of the era it was founded. 

I too thought that was admirable.  I knew nothing of its organization or purpose.  Wonder why its skewed so old.  Has intellectualism died?

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

I too thought that was admirable.  I knew nothing of its organization or purpose.  Wonder why its skewed so old.  Has intellectualism died?

Having been a member of a similar club until more recently, Cosmos isn't alone on the age front.  These clubs are in a constant battle for youth and new blood while trying desperately to avoid offending and losing their established members.  This plays out in every way imaginable, from menu choices to programming options and how you are treated by other club members.  Cost of entry is also a barrier to people less established in their careers (younger) even if they HAVE done 'meritorious, original work' as is required by Cosmos.

Funny that the crab soup is mentioned above - it was also excellent at 'the other' club.  Must be 'a thing'.

I have been a member of the Tower Club in the past, which counted the Franklin Club at 13th and I Sts NW (Franklin Square), as well as the City Club at 13th and F Sts NW (Columbia Square) as its other two properties. The Franklin Club has since closed because of falling memberships -- these clubs cater mostly to the Federal business development community, with the occasional law firm or lobby firm in the mix.

The initiation fee for the Tower Club and City Club has dropped to $1000, probably in an attempt to lure more members. In addition, about $250 - $270 a month in membership fees are charged, which are typically covered by corporate expense accounts. And on top of those fees, each meal is charged -- although breakfast at the Tower Club is one of the best deals in town. It's a buffet with an omelette station, for something like $9.95.

But overall quality is medium at best. I've eaten often at the Tower Club, the City Club, the Franklin Club, the Army-Navy Club, the University Club, the National Press Club, and heck, even the U.S. Senate Dining Room, and I can make the general blanket statement about all of them -- uninspired cooking for a seldom-changing clientele, with emphasis on atmosphere and trappings, and where no up-and-coming bad-ass chef will ever be in the kitchen. Sometimes they have a dead feeling, with very few people there, and sometimes they have a tired feeling, with both staff and clientele on the wrong side of their prime years. The best thing I can say about them is that conversation is easy, although on more than one occasion, I was concerned about being overheard a few tables away in the midst of a business conversation.

A couple of years ago, the Washingtonian wrote about the inevitable demise of these clubs, noting that they can survive as long as people keep turning 60. I still enjoy the occasional invitation to one of these places, although it's certainly not for the food.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2017 at 5:52 PM, Kibbee Nayee said:

I have been a member of the Tower Club in the past, which counted the Franklin Club at 13th and I Sts NW (Franklin Square), as well as the City Club at 13th and F Sts NW (Columbia Square) as its other two properties. The Franklin Club has since closed because of falling memberships -- these clubs cater mostly to the Federal business development community, with the occasional law firm or lobby firm in the mix.

The initiation fee for the Tower Club and City Club has dropped to $1000, probably in an attempt to lure more members. In addition, about $250 - $270 a month in membership fees are charged, which are typically covered by corporate expense accounts. And on top of those fees, each meal is charged -- although breakfast at the Tower Club is one of the best deals in town. It's a buffet with an omelette station, for something like $9.95.

Yes, but those are ClubCorp run establishments, and have a fraction of none of the history of the other entities you list. Consequently they will struggle in comparison to the more long-lived and exclusive clubs (like the Metropolitan for example) - many of which are struggling themselves. With respect to how these entities survive (or don't) it seems to be a combination of a few things - offering new amentities aimed at younger professionals (e.g. day spa, improved athletic facilities and events for families), prudent management/ investment of funds and endowments and long-term ownership of their locations. Any slips on either of those three fronts can trigger a death-spiral.

As to the Cosmos Club and it's survival (which is not in question, but was mentioned upthread), just look at the club's Real Estate. If the board felt like selling Hillyer House (and removing the connecting bridge) they could fund the club's continued operation for many years.

• Like 1

I've been to the Cosmos as a guest a few times, and yes, was the youngest woman in the dining room by 20 years... and I am pretty sure that my MIL was the next-youngest woman in the dining room, also by a good 20 years. The food has improved in recent years, but it's more about ambiance, service, and formality than food.

One thing to note is that Harvard Club members (and possible some other clubs as well) get some level of reciprocity privileges, which can help skew the average age a bit lower on occasion.