Pool Boy

Mirabelle, the Return of James Beard Winning Chef Frank Ruta and Pastry Chef Aggie Chin at 16th and I Street Downtown

67 posts in this topic

Anyone been yet?

I know they are only open for lunch so far, but the initial buzz seems quite good. I was never in doubt of course, but I think this could be something really special. We have ressies for the middle of next month for dinner, so I will be sure to report back but just curious to see if anyone has been there yet. Also....thoughts on parking?

Mirabelle

1 person likes this

I thought for sure you would be first Pool Boy! We are considering a belated birthday meal for Mr. S-but want to wait for them to get their sea legs before taxing the kitchen dealing with my allergies. 

Did you see Tom Sietsema's First Bite column? WaPo

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

Anyone been yet?

I almost went - or, should I say, "I almost called" yesterday, Saturday, based on this Google Search:

Screenshot 2017-03-26 at 2.13.58 AM.png

but it looked somewhat suspicious - 12 AM just didn't sound right - and I ended up not going downtown. (Someone from Mirabelle should check this out - may as well get these types of things correct as quickly as possible). Welcome back, Frank and Aggie.

I'll go sometime from work.  That area is a lunch/dinner wasteland.  (Blah blah BLT Steak, Bombay Club, Oval Room blah blah.)

21 hours ago, squidsdc said:

I thought for sure you would be first Pool Boy! We are considering a belated birthday meal for Mr. S-but want to wait for them to get their sea legs before taxing the kitchen dealing with my allergies. 

Did you see Tom Sietsema's First Bite column? WaPo

I'll be there soon! New job makes it impossible for me to steal away to try it for lunch though you know, you all KNOW, I'd love nothing more than to get there stat.

went today. it's lovely, but too expensive for me to make a habit of going there. But I've been craving a real Jambon Beurre for years now, and so despite all of the other things I might have ordered (the burger looks deliciously decadent), I went with my craving. Even though it was $26. It definitely hit the spot. Dessert was the yuzu sesame mille crepe— more cream and caramel than yuzu, alas. tasty but my tastebuds had been primed for yuzu!

I suspect, however, I may be doomed whenever they open for breakfast (maybe May?), because I'll walk by it nearly every day, and I am sucker for pastries.

The space is gorgeous, and all of the staff are super nice and attentive.

IMG_1027.JPG

3 people like this

12 hours ago, turbogrrl said:

went today. it's lovely, but too expensive for me to make a habit of going there. But I've been craving a real Jambon Beurre for years now, and so despite all of the other things I might have ordered (the burger looks deliciously decadent), I went with my craving. Even though it was $26. It definitely hit the spot.

My goodness - I think the most I've *ever* paid for a Jambon B (that's either a Jambon Beurre or a Jambon Brie) was $10: This was at BreadFurst with Mark Slater when it first opened, and I'm pretty sure it was a Jambon Brie, and was enough to split. At the time, I thought the price was extravagant.

I'm quite sure it isn't Frank who's setting the pricing; he's probably under orders to "Make the best food you can possibly make, and don't worry about the cost" - that looks like a half-pound of ham!

Ironically, I'm a purist, so the ratio of bread, butter, and ham means a lot to me - here, they're really piling on the meat and butter, but I'll bet it was awesome.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'm quite sure it isn't Frank who's setting the pricing; he's probably under orders to "Make the best food you can possibly make, and don't worry about the cost" - that looks like a half-pound of ham!

Ironically, I'm a purist, so the ratio of bread, butter, and ham means a lot to me - here, they're really piling on the meat and butter, but I'll bet it was awesome.

oh, yes. basically, every lunch dish is 25-30-- sandwich, salad, or entree. I suspect the ham is applied to get to the needed price point, not the other way around. I am no purist, but would have been happier with a smidge less ham and a smidge more butter :)

and here is the crepe, because why not?

IMG_1030.JPG

2 people like this

Thanks for the picture and the report! I am a sucker for Frank & Aggie food no matter the price. Fortunately or unfortunately, I am not near their location (or even near enough) to get there for lunch or the coming breakfast. Maybe once in a blue moon. I will likely be a regular at dinner though. But Frank and Aggie already probably know that. :)

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Gadarene said:

With those prices, I will not be going there.

I have to say I was concerned when I saw the location.  This is prime expense account territory.  But I will probably end up going anyway at least once to taste the magic.

On 3/29/2017 at 0:41 PM, Gadarene said:

Yeah we all make choices. We all work hard I am sure and where to spend what we earn is a very personal decision.

2 people like this

I had lunch there yesterday. When we made reservations there 4 or 5 days earlier, the only available times were 11:30 am or 1:00 pm or later. I was surprised when I arrived at 12:45 that easily one half of the tables were unoccupied. They must still be operating on a soft opening schedule to iron out all of the wrinkles in the kitchen and the service. That being said, the place is beautiful. I ordered the yellowfin tuna nicoise. It came on an oval plate with a good sized portion of confit tuna, nicely dressed greens with thin slices of purple fingerling potatoes and a ramekin filled with (from top to bottom) extremely finely diced boiled egg whites, extremely finely diced olives, and red pepper purée.  A clever play on the standard nicoise, and delicious to boot! My host ordered the bouillabaisse, and based on how much was left it was delicious too.  After we finished eating we went to the bar for another glass of wine. I asked the bartender for something different and he suggested I try the Michael Shaps Petit Manseng from Virginia. I consider myself fairly well schooled in the area of wine, but I had never heard of the winery or the varietal before.  I am normally skeptical of Virginia wines, but decided to try it.  The wine was delicious, but probably more suited to drink with food than as an aperitif.  I will definitely be returning. Dinner service starts next week, I think.

4 people like this

Not my picture but this is what it is --

"...Foie gras poached in consommé with radish and chrysanthemum. Said consommé poured at the table...."

OMG. Want.

17834010_10158558895740046_442585073631116455_o.jpg

1 person likes this

Curious if this is a 100 bowel of Foie Gras given the cost of the ham sandwich.  They probably force feed the ducks themselves.  And the wine pairing for this dish is probably a 50 glass of champagne.

1 person likes this

Tom Sietsema mentioned in his chat that Mirabelle started serving dinner on Monday.

On 4/1/2017 at 0:27 PM, Finatic said:

I had lunch there yesterday. When we made reservations there 4 or 5 days earlier, the only available times were 11:30 am or 1:00 pm or later. I was surprised when I arrived at 12:45 that easily one half of the tables were unoccupied. They must still be operating on a soft opening schedule to iron out all of the wrinkles in the kitchen and the service. That being said, the place is beautiful. I ordered the yellowfin tuna nicoise. It came on an oval plate with a good sized portion of confit tuna, nicely dressed greens with thin slices of purple fingerling potatoes and a ramekin filled with (from top to bottom) extremely finely diced boiled egg whites, extremely finely diced olives, and red pepper purée.  A clever play on the standard nicoise, and delicious to boot! My host ordered the bouillabaisse, and based on how much was left it was delicious too.  After we finished eating we went to the bar for another glass of wine. I asked the bartender for something different and he suggested I try the Michael Shaps Petit Manseng from Virginia. I consider myself fairly well schooled in the area of wine, but I had never heard of the winery or the varietal before.  I am normally skeptical of Virginia wines, but decided to try it.  The wine was delicious, but probably more suited to drink with food than as an aperitif.  I will definitely be returning. Dinner service starts next week, I think.

Now that sounds good. Interestingly, for all the mockery the $26 jambon beurre sandwich is getting, the 15 sandwiches, salads, and entrees are all priced from $25-29, and the entrees are complete plates, so to me they seem like a better deal than the bare-bones plates of fish you'd pay $30 odd for at a place like Oceanaire.

PS. Michael Shaps has a very good rep. Whote Foods carries some of his wines. Petit Manseng is one of those varietals that apparently is doing very well in VA (like Cab Franc, Viognier, and other "off-brand" grapes).

On 4/6/2017 at 10:45 AM, cheezepowder said:

Tom Sietsema mentioned in his chat that Mirabelle started serving dinner on Monday.

But FYI, you can't eat at the bar yet.

14 hours ago, cheezepowder said:

Weird.

15 hours ago, cheezepowder said:

It seems like they are taking a phased approach to expanding their service. Lunch, then dinner. Eventually dining at the bar, and breakfast (IIRC). They'll eventually do everything they want and establish a flow and cadence to their operations.

On March 29, 2017 at 0:41 PM, Gadarene said:

I'm not going to go that far, but I'm with you in being disappointed that the prices from the Capella/Rosewood have traveled with Frank. $26 for a ham sandwich is up there with the $50 truffle gnocchi at Fiola Mare in terms of blatant gouging.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, DPop said:

$26 for a ham sandwich is up there with the $50 truffle gnocchi at Fiola Mare in terms of blatant gouging.

You'd think at a French restaurant they would be more inclined to gougere rather than gouge.

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

You'd think at a French restaurant they would be more inclined to gougere rather than gouge.

I see what you've done there!

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, DPop said:

$26 for a ham sandwich is up there with the $50 truffle gnocchi at Fiola Mare in terms of blatant gouging.

Charging $50 for a gallon of diesel and potato chips during a hurricane in the midst of a siege is gouging. Charging a premium for hand made leather shoes, top shelf booze or truffled noodles at a fancy restaurant is not. That ham sandwich is a blatant splurge, not an essential consumer good.

Consumers are free to purchase other options for ½ the price, at Taylor Gourmet, where a commodity vegetarian sandwich somehow costs the same as a one with commodity meats. Spendthrifts can also buy cardboard flip-flops and burlap sheets. Mirabelle makes the bread, butter and ham from infinitely better ingredients, which commands a fair amount of knack, and none of that comes cheap.

Ultimately, your gripe is with commercial landlords who are the scourge of humanity and deserve to collectively get syphilis.

12 people like this