Vegetable "Noodles", how do you use them?

ktmoomau

I got some butternut squash "noodles"/ spirals.  I was planning when I make pasta for hubby to use them instead of pasta for me.  I assume I should steam them.  I bought a cheap spiralizer previously, but it didn't make good ribbons, but now they are easy enough to buy at the grocery, and my kitchen is so small- I don't worry about it.  How do you prepare and use vegetable noodles?  Do you have recipes that you like?  What are good flavor combinations?  

I've never done butternut squash noodles, but I've generally found that more robust sauces do better.  I'll saute zucchini ribbons (made with a mandoline at home) and then make a carbonara sauce or spicy arrabiatta sauce.  Store-bought (or tomato sauces in general) can get watered down as the noodles release some liquid - a problem you wouldn't have with regular pasta.  For the Carbonara, I use pasteurized yolks (4), grated parmesan and crumbled bacon - season with pepper at the table.  

Have you tried spaghetti squash? You don't need one of those spiralizer doohickeys, you just scrape the guts out with a fork and separate the strands a bit. I usually split one, and then roast with olive oil. I haven't tried this, but I think I saw a recipe somewhere where you put a small tomato in it and let that roast too.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/spaghetti-squash-with-marinara-recipe

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dracisk said:

I recently bought my first spaghetti squash and would be interested in any other tasty recipes anyone can share. I made a spaghetti squash gratin recipe with the one I bought and found it to be so-so (and I LOVE cheese).

Here is the one that I kind of used- http://reciperunner.com/green-chile-chicken-stuffed-spaghetti-squash/  I say kind of because I had made chicken enchiladas with salsa verde from the Rick Bayless cookbook, and used the leftover filling in this, etc.  I have also done garlic, butter and Parmesan with good results.

• Like 1

There's a spaghetti squash recipe from Moosewood Cookbook I like a lot. Someone has uploaded a version of it here.  The original recipe calls for specific amounts of herbs (1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley, 1 tsp. basil, dash of thyme).  This takes about 1 1/2 hours to make, but a chunk of that is the initial cooking of the spaghetti squash.

• Like 1