Bel-Loc Diner, Old-School Towson Diner Open Since 1964, Closed Mar 26, 2017

On 3/31/2017 at 7:02 PM, DonRocks said:

Mar 14, 2017 - "Bel-Loc Diner To Close March 26 after 53 Years" by Rachael Pacella on baltimoresun.com

Note: Bel-Loc Diner has taken its place on the "Oldest Restaurants in the Baltimore and Annapolis Area" list.

Sad news for another reason: The Bel-Loc is one of the few remaining examples of Googie Architecture on the East Coast.

4 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Sad news for another reason: The Bel-Loc is one of the few remaining examples of Googie Architecture on the East Coast.

Okay, without cheating, when I saw the picture of it, I thought the building looked like Peck Chevrolet in Ballston (now The Mussel Bar). Is it the same?

• Like 1

Just now, DonRocks said:

Okay, without cheating, when I saw the picture of it, I thought the building looked like Peck Chevrolet in Ballston (now The Mussel Bar). Is it the same?

Both are examples of Googie architecture -- Bob Peck on the more flamboyant end of the spectrum, but the Bel-Loc overhang is definitely Googie too. You have a good eye, DonRocks.

8 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Both are examples of Googie architecture -- Bob Peck on the more flamboyant end of the spectrum, but the Bel-Loc overhang is definitely Googie too. You have a good eye, DonRocks.

You know, maybe there's a chance Starbucks will keep the architecture - I mean, why not?

(Thank you for your kind words, Bob.)

• Like 1