"The Tin Drum" (1959) Gunter Grass' Allegorical Masterpiece about Oskar Matzerath, and One of the Most Important Novels of the Twentieth Century

DIShGo

I can count on one hand the number of novels that left an indelible mark on my mind--literature that painted pictures so vividly that the imagery stays clearly with me years after I read the book. "The Tin Drum" by Gunter Grass is one of a handful of novels that I will never forget.

Grass is an amazingly talented author. His prose is lyrical, even translated from German. To mark the 50th anniversary of the book, "The Tin Drum" was painstakingly re-translated (with a great deal of input by Grass himself) by Breon Mitchell, who made great efforts to preserve the poetic nature of Grass' prose. Earlier editions merely translated the meanings of his German words into English. This translation retains the beautiful richness and rhythm of his words. There is a very interesting chapter in the back of the book that discusses this process. If you purchase the novel, I highly recommend you get a copy with the newer translation.

"The Tin Drum" is political, satirical, dark, moving, hilarious and thought provoking. There are elements of magical realism and historical fiction. I recently watched the 1979 award-winning film adaptation of this book. It is a good film, but far inferior to the novel. There is so much in this book that the movie can barely skim the surface. The casting was brilliant and the acting was great. The film touched on several of the highlights of Oskar's life, but so many of my favorite parts of the book were missing. Watching this film and thinking you know the story of "The Tin Drum" is like going to Epcot and saying you've been to Europe.

***SPOILERS FOLLOW***

Several of the most memorable scenes in the book are also in the film. But the imagery that Grass paints with his words is far more powerful than watching these somewhat shocking events play out on film. A pivotal moment in both the book and the film is when one of the major characters dies. This corresponds with the Soviet occupation of Poland. All of the details in the book are there, including Oskar's contribution to this person's death and the role of a Nazi party pin.

But in the book, as the corpse lies on the cellar floor and the family scurries in panic around him, Oskar is transfixed by a trail of ants marching around the body and into a bag of sugar. With that one small detail, Grass speaks to the futility of war and the insignificance of man in the scope of the world. The addition of this one small detail makes a powerful and moving scene all the more powerful and moving. This is just one example of why the book is so superior to the film.

If you love thought-provoking, exquisitely written literature, do not miss out on this fabulous book.

On 4/1/2017 at 6:40 PM, DIShGo said:

I can count on one hand the number of novels that left an indelible mark on my mind--literature that painted pictures so vividly that the imagery stays clearly with me years after I read the book. "The Tin Drum" by Gunter Grass is one of a handful of novels that I will never forget.

I read "The Tin Drum" over twenty years ago, so didn't have the good fortune to read your translation, but I remember it well enough to comment on it.

It seems impossible to compare something like "The Tim Drum" to "King Lear," so let's remove people like Shakespeare from the equation. If we do that, "The Tin Drum" goes on my list of Top 10 novels I've ever read, and quite possibly Top 5. 

In fact, if I woke up one morning, and said that this is the best book written after WWII, I wouldn't call myself a dummy. It is an absolute masterpiece, and surely one of the most brilliant books ever written - I have no problem putting it lockstep with "Crime and Punishment," for example.

Now, as to the movie, Oskar is clearly played by Anthony Hopkins' son:

Anthony.jpgOskar.jpg

And one thing the book can never do is replicate the sounds of the eels, slithering out of the eye sockets on the beach - one of the most squirmy, cringe-inducing scenes I've ever endured in a film. But your point is very well-taken about the movie never being able to best the book - it simply can't - it isn't possible.

I'm reminded of Sasha's comment about "The Royal Game" by Stefan Zweig: People should be ashamed to call themselves "writers" when there are stories like this out there - it's the exact same thing with "The Tin Drum." 

If someone were to tell me "The Tin Drum" is the best novel they've ever read, my response would be that they have excellent taste in literature.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 9:41 AM, DonRocks said:

And one thing the book can never do is replicate the sounds of the eels, slithering out of the eye sockets on the beach - one of the most squirmy, cringe-inducing scenes I've ever endured in a film. But your point is very well-taken about the movie never being able to best the book - it simply can't - it isn't possible.

You are right, the book can't replicate the sounds of the eels slithering out of the nose, eyes and mouth of a dead horse's head washed up on the beach. Still, the image I conjured up in my mind after reading that passage was even more disturbing than the one displayed on the screen.