Asian Origin (Sister to Hong Kong Palace), Szechuan-Based Chinese in the Former Panache Space on S. Pinnacle Drive in Tysons Corner

Liu Chaosheng - who dat, you might ask.  Well, he's the guy who opened Hong Kong Palace and Uncle Liu's Hot Pot, and he's now opened Asian Origin, in the old Panache space on Pinnacle Drive as noted in this McLean Patch article.

When I first received a menu, I noted its Sichuan dishes and instantly decided to compare it to HKP (not knowing at the time they're sister restaurants). 

The beef, tendon, and tripe dish is $9 at HKP and $12 at AO.

Spicy wontons are $6 at HKP and $8 at AO.

Dan Dan Noodles are $7 at HKP and $8 at AO.

So the prices are higher at AO, presumably reflecting a higher rent as well as fancier décor.

Now I have to decide whether to drive a little farther to HKP or stay in McLean.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Liu Chaosheng - who dat, you might ask.  Well, he's the guy who opened Hong Kong Palace and Uncle Liu's Hot Pot, and he's now opened Asian Origin, in the old Panache space on Pinnacle Drive as noted in this McLean Patch article.

Hi Ericandblueboy:  Is the quality of food the same at both locations (HKP and AO) or is one location better than the other?

Tried it recently for take out and found it to be in the ballpark for taste compared to HKP or Uncle Liu's.  

They are working out the kinks with service and running the new restaurant. It is a little smaller than I thought but has two private dining rooms. Think they should lighten up the decor a bit and drop the sushi component of the menu. It would be great if they added dim sum.  Also if they brought in more specialized szechuan dishes that would take care of my chinese cuisine needs. 

• Like 2

Just had lunch here.  The décor is pretty fancy.  Our server seemed a little green, on the over-eager side.  We had the same dishes that we would have ordered at HKP (spicy wonton, scallion pancakes, silken tofu w/ fish in spicy broth, fried spicy diced chicken), and they taste pretty much the same.  Surprisingly, the menu is shorter than HKP but there are a few traditionally expensive dishes, like abalone. 

I don't actually expect an upscale Chinese joint to survive in Tysons (only steakhouses seems to). 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2017 at 2:32 PM, Bob Wells said:

Just looked at the menu. Appetizers include "Mashed Potato w. Fresh Fruit Gravy. Strawberry or Blueberry"

Who will take one for the team?

The "Blueberry Flavor Mashed Potato" caught my eye, too.

Fear not and rest optimistic: They used a template for their website.

Screenshot 2017-05-16 at 5.17.22 PM.png

Have been here several times now.  The big differences are in the dining room and service.  The dining room is large, airy and bright.  The servers are cheerful, speak English and generally aim to please.  The food is consistently good and they seem to attract a Chinese crowd on weekend evenings, which is a good sign.

We're been getting take out from there once a month (eating there less frequently) since last my first visit back in April 2017. Only problem haven't been to HKP only once since then and I kinda of miss the hole in the wall atmosphere. 

Cumin fish. 

• Like 1

Northern Family Dumplings - nice thin handmade wrapper - they didn't ask what kind of filling I wanted but the dumplings tasted like pork and chives (which is the most common).  I think they're pretty good, way better than those found at typical Chinese joints.  Comes with a side of soy/vinegar/slightly spicy dipping sauce.

IMG_3707.JPG

• Like 1

I've asked a couple of time when visiting and they said it was under consideration. Personally, always curious how they are doing in non lunch time hours since on the weekends, it's fairly half filled. 

Northern Chinese brunch (like A&J) now served 10-3:30 on weekends.

Also $10 buffet Monday—Friday.

People who like tacos, try the Beijing sauteed pork - pork strips stir fried in a slightly sweet and tangy sauce which you wrap with Peking duck wrapper (although they really do look like flour tortillas in this case).

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Northern Chinese brunch (like A&J) now served 10-3:30 on weekends.

Also $10 buffet Monday—Friday.

People who like tacos, try the Beijing sauteed pork - pork strips stir fried in a slightly sweet and tangy sauce which you wrap with Peking duck wrapper (although they really do look like flour tortillas in this case).

Thanks for the update on weekend brunch. Have you been and if so what is the selection?

Speaking of Hong Kong Palace, has it closed?   Gayot says is closed https://www.gayot.com/restaurants/hong-kong-palace-falls-church-va-22044_33vg080503.html  Meaning, closed-closed or just not open right now ... ?

I gotta find out TODAY!

The Shopper's at that side of Seven Corners has reportedly closed as of September 1 and will be renovated into a Giant.  A loss, this was an interesting grocery for an occasional visit, combining "merican with FFX County multicultural offerings.

Had brunch here yesterday.  The menu with respect to actual brunch food is limited.  The fried bread stick (you-tiao) was dense and generally not very good.  The pigs ears were nice but I didn't like the sesame seeds sprinkled on top.  The cold shredded veggie salad turned out to be mostly cellophane noodles - slightly spicy and sour, good flavoring.  I also liked the chives pockets but I'm not entirely sure they're house-made.  

They actually open at 10:30 on weekends.  The place remained slow while I was there from 10:30 to 11:30.

AA1.JPG

AA2.JPG

AA3.JPG

• Like 1