Hanabi Ramen - Chef Kenji's Ramen House Opens on Feb 28, 2017 at 3024 Wilson Blvd. in Clarendon in the Former Amsterdam Falafelshop Space

I didn't see a thread about this new addition to Clarendon so thought I'd start one (feel free to modify or move if I'm incorrect). My wife and I went a few nights ago with high hopes but were disappointed. We live in the area and love ramen, but I doubt we'll be back to Hanabi. We ordered the tonkatsu and the miso ramen. The tonkatsu broth was just one note, none of the depth of flavor I'm used too. Similarly, the miso tasted like the same broth but with an overwhelming amount of chili oil. Different noodles were served with each bowl, but the flavor and texture were off on both. The tonkatsu noodles especially were too overcooked, and too thin. Fix-ins were fine, but nothing outstanding. 

Sadly, our bowls hardly compared to the standout places in DC, let alone what we remember from Tokyo. Perhaps we caught them on an off night, but next time we're feeling ramen we'll head into the city.

quick note to add that it's terrible. went yesterday. How does one cook a tonkatsu broth with no flavor. Sure it looked right and had good mouth feel but no flavor. All of us didn't like it. 4 soup lovers. 10 yr old loved the noodles though. They were not overcooked. Pork was ok. Sea weed salad was as expected. Veggie goyza was mushy. May have been filled with potato. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1