cucas87 (Ahoy)

Update: I've lost one pound despite it being RW and I've walked for at least 40 minutes every day except today. As for today, we'll see if I get a walk in before the season premiere of "24." I'll be in Houston this week for work. I'm not sure I'll be up to the big Texas portions. Stay tuned.

I've lost one more pound despite being in Houston at a conference where I've done little but sit for 9+ hours a day. Luckily the hotel had a small fitness center and I also managed to walk in the mornings (ok, to Starbucks, but it was something). Worst thing I did: try the wonderful peanut butter cookies available in the afternoons. Best thing I did: avoid the hotel's buffets. I need to get back into the habit of bringing lunch to work. Let's see how that goes.

Silly things I've been doing to sneak in some "exercise" include: getting off the metro one stop away from where I would normally get on/off for work (for example, Judiciary Square instead of Union Station) and walking up and down the stairs at work where I am on the 11th floor. This is good except for days like today when the stairwells in the office were (apparently) locked and I ended up having to bang on the door to be rescued. Also, my plans to walk during lunch have been impeded recently by work so I will need to do a better job of getting to the gym. And, like others in this challenge, I am finding that the initial exuberance has worn off a bit and now I realize how far I have to go. Still, my plan is to take this slowly and be patient (which is not my usual default position). I just keep reminding myself that Memorial Day is on the way, and if I do this right, I'll be in better shape and health by then [clicking heels together 3 times].

This week I've lost 1/2 pound. Not a lot by any stretch but given the number of times I dined out and the small amount of time I spent actually working out, this is ok with me. Next week's goal: get to the gym! In the interest of full disclosure I'll admit that I had to resort to what I consider guerilla tactics today to avoid joining in the surprise ice cream sundae extravaganza at work: I [cleansing breath] polished my nails at work, leaving me too embarassed to leave my office.

I'm down another 1/2 pound, which means I need to up the exercise to keep making progress (Walrus, are you reading this?). This morning I went to my second step aerobics class of the week -- yes, it's a little 80s, but then I wouldn't mind weighing what I weighed in the 80s, so maybe it's ok. In other (not weight-related) fitness news I finally received a stand for my computer monitor at work and I can't believe how much better my neck feels -- it's *like* I've lost so much weight. If only.

This week I lost 3/4 pound. I still need to get an exercise plan working. That said, I persuaded a colleague to walk up and down the steps in our building during lunch. That was yesterday and I'm not sure she'll forgive me for it. On the plus side, I have started drinking decaf tea (Celestial Seasoning's Candy Cane Lane) at work and it's a good snack-preventor. Victory of the week: in the bar at Corduroy for dinner the other night I shared the (delicious) steak with a friend, left most of the fries for my friend and ordered a salad. Increased motivation: a recent college mailing listed those alumni from my year who are planning to attend our reunion this June and my name was included. So, I have a hard deadline of June 8th to make visible progress.

Weight loss this week: nothing.

Times at the gym this week: 3

This has been a frustrating week diet and work-wise. I'm hoping next week will show better results in both areas. No real problems or "cheating episodes," just time to up the exercise factor.

Weight loss this week: 1/2 pound

Times at the gym: 1 (plus a number of lunchtime stair climbings)

On the workout front, well, I need to do more, but I'm trying to at least do something. I finally have started trying to do push-ups again. My success at push ups (and my ability to deal with the elliptical machine) are indicators of how far I have to go and will be indicators of how "fit" I'm getting as this challenge moves into the spring. I used to be able to do 50 "real" push-ups and am now doing about 30 shaky "knee" push-ups. I also used to be able to work out for about 45 minutes on the elliptical and this week I could not do even 5 minutes on it (but I did get back on the bike, so at least I didn't just stop exercising). Stay tuned. Thank you to everyone here who has posted recipes and food logs, they are of great help. (Comic relief: Jmchen, I misread your food log and thought you had written "2 cones" which led me for a brief, happy moment to think of ice cream for lunch, but I realized, of course, you'd written "2 coney dogs." Sigh).

I lost 1/2 pound this week which isn't bad considering I didn't get to the gym at all. That said, I have exactly 3 months from today until my 20th college reunion so I have used up all of my "wiggle" room and really need to get on this plan I intend to really be exercising and more careful about what I eat in the weeks to come. Stay tuned.

This challenge has been suprisingly difficult. I've done ok at eating less but not too well at exercising. Maybe it's due to a bad time at work, which makes me want to sit on the couch and eat bon bons. In any event, I've had a series of colds and lots of stress and as a result, exercise had fallen to the wayside. But this week I have felt re-energized. Maybe because of the warmer weather, or two upcoming events at which I'd like to feel and look more fit: my college reunion (now less than 3 months away) and my brother's upcoming cd release party (sometime in the next 6 weeks or so) -- or a possible job search in the not too distant future.

In any event last night after work we took a walk for close to an hour. It was a beautiful night and I felt great when we got back. I haven't had time for an actual lunch break today but I have walked up and down the stairs to my office on the 11th floor a few times so far. Here's to a renewed effort and more weight loss during the next few months. If anyone else wants to step up their efforts for this second half of the challenge, count me in.

In any event last night after work we took a walk for close to an hour. It was a beautiful night and I felt great when we got back.
See? See? Pick up a random American or British novel written before the age of motoring and that's what they're all doing. In Italy, I love the civic ritual of the passegiata in which everyone strolls in the early evening. We need to start something like that over here...
I haven't had time for an actual lunch break today but I have walked up and down the stairs to my office on the 11th floor a few times so far.
Walking all the way up the escalators at Dupont, Rosslyn, etc. is good exercise, too. Would be nice to do it without turning red or changing breathing patterns.
Here's to a renewed effort and more weight loss during the next few months. If anyone else wants to step up their efforts for this second half of the challenge, count me in.
Okay. How?

Here's to a renewed effort and more weight loss during the next few months. If anyone else wants to step up their efforts for this second half of the challenge, count me in.
Okay. How?

I work neary Union Station. I'd love to meet people and walk during lunch, but at most I can only take an hour's break. I'd also be willing to meet up with people after work or on the weekends. Depending, of course, on schedules, etc.

I will never be the kind of person who says, during times of stress, "I'm not hungry," or "I forgot to eat." (Say what?) I tend to find comfort in my two great, good friends, Ben & Jerry. That said, last week I managed a trip to Florida to deal with some unhappy family business without gaining weight, overeating or otherwise overindulging. (And I mean that in every way, thanks or no thanks to the Holiday Inn's lack of an in-room minibar. Note to Holiday Inn: when your budget numbers fall short this month, you can point directly to the lack of minibars in the rooms. How I could have used a drink or 6 last week. And this would have been true even if I'd been in town for fun. It was spring break for most people, for crying out loud).

Having gotten through the last week from hell, I'm happy to be back at home and on the plan. Walking up the 11 fights of stairs to my office this morning went ok, and I'll be taking a walk at 1:00 today. Fitness challenge, I am back. Nine weeks to the college reunion.

A little progress, finally. Weight lost this week: 1 3/4 pounds.

Exercise is finally becoming more of a constant and it feels pretty good. In addition to walking up the 11 flights of stairs to my office every day (anything, really, to delay getting to work!), I have done the following this week:

Sunday: 20 minutes on the treadmill and elliptical machines (combined time) and then a 25 minute walk after a wonderful Easter dinner.

Monday: 30 minutes on the treadmill (and 2 additional 10 minute walks to/from metro).

Tuesday: 30 minutes on the treadmill/elliptical (combined time) (and 2 additional 10 minute walks to/from metro).

Food lesson: It's always good to buy 2 packs of Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches because that way if you accidentally drop one pack on the kitchen floor, you still have some dessert left in the house.

The scale says I've lost another 1 1/2 pounds but I don't feel like it. Not that I'm complaining. I hurt my neck about a week ago and seem to have pinched a nerve during my recent work travels from hell and I've learned that the stairmaster is not your friend in such a situation. That said, and though I'm not sure I'll make my fitness challenge goal, I'm sticking with this. The scale is going in the right direction and more important, not only is my college reunion 5 weeks away, but my musician brother will be here in town for a gig at Blues Alley in late June and I would love to feel...fitter and be able to wear something fun by then. Stay tuned.

I'm posting a day early because tomorrow is my brother's birthday and I suspect I'll be having some ice cream and cake and goodies in his honor. In any case, I lost 1 1/2 pounds last week despite doing next to no exercise. I attribute this to (1) the (very literal) pain in the neck from my pinched nerve and (2) Scott's really wonderful low-cal home cooked dinners. Not necessarily in that order. That said, I have a loooong way to go. Perhaps I'll celebrate Jon's birthday with a skinny cow treat and a walk.

Only lost 1/2 pound this week, which is at least something (especially in light of the incredible restaurant meals I've had). I definitely plan on seeing this "challenge" through to my goal weight. A few things that I haven't been able to wear in a long time fit now, and it only makes me more anxious to get back into the rest of my wardrobe.

Since I didn't make my goal during the Fit for Summer challenge, I decided to join Weight Watchers. So far, I've lost 9 pounds. It's a pretty easy plan to deal with and just knowing someone else will see the scale has made me more careful in what I eat. That said, I'm sad to say that I've learned that as I eat less, I weigh less -- and that according to Weight Watchers, one sleeve of thin mint (Girl Scout) cookies is not dessert, it has the equivalent "point value" of all the food I am supposed to eat in a day. Let's just say that was an enlightening bit of food math. In any case, if it cools down some outside and anyone is up for walking, let me know.

I'm impressed by the number of pounds you've shed since joining! How long have you been a member?

As far as cooling down and walking goes, I didn't bother to make the rounds for three days straight this week. Just climbed stairs and did a few exercises up on the roof--late. Last night during the rain, walking was great. I recommend it if tonight brings the same weather.

The last few months have been a blur due largely to a wonderful, new job (albeit one that blocks access to this website). Between getting used to the commute and the new gig, I've managed to cut out most activity/exercise from my life. That said, I've lost a little more weight and I'm now down a total of 14.8 pounds. I'm about 1/2 way to my goal. I'm posting now in an effort to prevent myself from undoing too much of this slow and hard work over the next few weeks. I'm really posting because I have so little access to this site now that while I'm able to long on I want to wish everyone a happy and healthy new year. And if anyone wants to go for a walk in '08, I'm in.

After a hiatus, a few colds and a lot of pasta, I am back on the Weight Watchers wagon, inspired in my fitness journey by my Uncle, who has lost over 50 pounds following the "You on a Diet" plan and who will be on tv this Wednesday night at 10 on the Dr. Oz show on Discovery Health. In case anyone watches, I'll remind you all in advance-- on my Uncle's behalf -- that the camera adds 10 pounds. In any event, he has done incredibly well and I am now ready to get back to tracking my own progress. I, however, will be staying behind the camera.