Mica - Chef Yianni Arhantoulis' Tiny, Modern American BYOB in Chestnut Hill

My wife and I live in the Washington DC area, but her family lives in Philadelphia.  We were visiting over the Passover/Easter weekend and because we were staying in Chestnut Hill, decided to try Mica, a small BYOB restaurant a few blocks from our hotel.  We are used to fine dining and to be honest, found that Mica could hold its own with some of the best here in DC

Chef driven, the restaurant only has about 32 seats.  The services was superb, and the food outstanding.  We started with a smoked trout salad with marinated fennel that was described as "a taste", but actually a small appetizer.  Next came Albacore Tuna Tartar with smoked jalapeno and carrots and a house salad.  We shared all three.  My wife ordered the arctic char and declared that it melted in her mouth.  The vegs that came with it were perfectly cooked and were so flavorful that she wondered if she could order just a dish of them next time.  I had the roasted sirloin of beef with smoked potatoes.  Cooked perfectly (rare side of medium rare) and the potatoes were so good that I asked how they were done.  (Boiled, smoked, fried, then dried)  Dessert was a chocolate mousse with caramel and sea salt and a sour cream pana cotta.  I brought a 2013 Radio Coteau Savoy Vineyard Pinot Noir with me and it went perfectly with the meal.  And the glassware was perfect (not the cheap jellyglass stuff many BYOs give you)

We enjoyed our meal so much that I have already made a reservation for when we are back in Phila next week to visit her parents.

On 4/24/2017 at 3:18 PM, dinwiddie said:

My wife and I live in the Washington DC area, but her family lives in Philadelphia.  We were visiting over the Passover/Easter weekend and because we were staying in Chestnut Hill, decided to try Mica, a small BYOB restaurant a few blocks from our hotel.  We are used to fine dining and to be honest, found that Mica could hold its own with some of the best here in DC

Chef driven, the restaurant only has about 32 seats.  The services was superb, and the food outstanding.  We started with a smoked trout salad with marinated fennel that was described as "a taste", but actually a small appetizer.  Next came Albacore Tuna Tartar with smoked jalapeno and carrots and a house salad.  We shared all three.  My wife ordered the arctic char and declared that it melted in her mouth.  The vegs that came with it were perfectly cooked and were so flavorful that she wondered if she could order just a dish of them next time.  I had the roasted sirloin of beef with smoked potatoes.  Cooked perfectly (rare side of medium rare) and the potatoes were so good that I asked how they were done.  (Boiled, smoked, fried, then dried)  Dessert was a chocolate mousse with caramel and sea salt and a sour cream pana cotta.  I brought a 2013 Radio Coteau Savoy Vineyard Pinot Noir with me and it went perfectly with the meal.  And the glassware was perfect (not the cheap jellyglass stuff many BYOs give you)

We enjoyed our meal so much that I have already made a reservation for when we are back in Phila next week to visit her parents.

Looking at Mica's website, along with reading your review, gives me a really good feeling about this restaurant.

Has anyone else tried it?

Our return trip was every bit as good as our first meal.  This time we had the 6 course tasting menu.  At $69 it was an excellent value and the food was again delicious.  This time I paired it with a 2012 Kosta Browne Kanzler Vineyard Pinot Noir.  Fantastic meal, fantastic service, and a wonderful wine.

• Like 1