Towards the beginning of "Argo," they showed some American churches, businesses, etc. with "Free the Hostages" signs - despite the Iranian embassy being stormed in 1979, one of the buildings depicted is still open - it's right across Chain Bridge Road from what is now Santini's (formerly Boston Market). The first picture is from the film; the second picture is from Google Maps.

Screenshot 2017-04-24 at 7.00.38 PM.pngScreenshot 2017-04-24 at 7.04.54 PM.png

It's also amazing (and not coincidental) that when Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck) first enters the CIA Headquarters in Langley, he's actually entering the CIA Headquarters in Langley (just a couple miles from McLean Cleaners) - this is the first time I've ever seen any pictures of the Headquarters (which is way back from the street), and apparently, special access was granted entirely due to honoring Tony Mendez (you should read about him on Wikipedia).

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

I had never heard of the Canadian Caper before reading about Mendez on Wikipedia, which is pretty pathetic, because 1979 is the year I graduated from high school - I guess I was more worried about college life, and the Iranian hostage crisis was only on my mind as much as the television allowed it to be. From my viewpoint, 38 years later? This was an act of war on the part of the Iranian people, period - embassies are designated as foreign countries, and the safe harbor which comes from being within those countries' borders - these Iranians invaded the United States the moment they broke into the embassy - tell me where I'm wrong, please.

In the distant future, Rodney King will be remembered as a hero, for his words, "Can we all get along?" They mean more than any crime he ever committed, and he will be regarded as a role model.

Within five seconds of first seeing John Chambers (John Goodman), an homage is made to "The Blues Brothers."

And it's very, very funny that the name of the movie ("Argo") comes from a crude knock-knock joke. This, for an Oscar-caliber film:

'Knock-knock.'
"Who's there?"
"Argo."
"Argo who?"
"Ar Go fuck yourself."

What I can't understand is why, when Mendez first meets the six hostages at the Canadian Embassy, he would assume the room *isn't* bugged. I mean, come on ...

Santini's is in a former "Chicken Out", fwiw.

Also, Dr. Harold "Hal" H. Saunders, 1930-2016 was one of the principal negotiators during the hostage crisis. Given his background, he had several amazing photos on his office wall, including some of him on the tarmac, arm in arm, with the newly freed hostages. He was also portrayed in the movie (Argo), albeit in a blink and you'll miss it scene.

I enjoyed talking to Hal about the movie, going over what was dramatized and what was real. SPOILER ALERT. I'm afraid that the tense ending, when they got held up at the gate, and the plane was subsequently chased by the army (or whatever) was a dramatization. Turns out they had no issues boarding the plane and leaving the country.

15 hours ago, Dr. Delicious said:

Santini's is in a former "Chicken Out", fwiw.

Also, Dr. Harold "Hal" H. Saunders, 1930-2016 was one of the principal negotiators during the hostage crisis. Given his background, he had several amazing photos on his office wall, including some of him on the tarmac, arm in arm, with the newly freed hostages. He was also portrayed in the movie (Argo), albeit in a blink and you'll miss it scene.

I enjoyed talking to Hal about the movie, going over what was dramatized and what was real. SPOILER ALERT. I'm afraid that the tense ending, when they got held up at the gate, and the plane was subsequently chased by the army (or whatever) was a dramatization. Turns out they had no issues boarding the plane and leaving the country.

I have read that a lot of the events in this film have been dramatized to make the story more exciting to watch. I was a sophomore in high school during the hostage crisis. I was taking a creative writing class at the time, and we were required to keep a journal and write something in it every night. I still have that journal, and a good number of my entries are about the hostage crisis. I watched reports about it on the news every night, and it clearly was upsetting to me.

Years later, I took my teenage daughter to the theater to see this film, and she found the story fascinating. She knew nothing about this part of American history.