Troeg's Freaky Peach

pras

I had the pleasure of taking a trip to Troeg's located in Hershey PA this weekend for a private tour.  The trip was arranged by my beer club at Flying Dog.  They were very proud of a new offering, which we were given samples of--Freaky Peach.  Freaky Peach clocks in at 9.9% ABV.  The following description is going to sound very cliche, but I assure you that this beer was really good.  Chances are that unless you visit the brewery (which I highly recommend), you will not have the opportunity to try this beer.  The brewery describes this as a bourbon barrel aged sour peach beer.  This beer has an aroma of bourbon, which you would suspect would come through in the taste, but the mind can certainly play tricks on you.  I noticed also zero bourbon in the taste, except maybe a hint at the end (I imagine as it warms the bourbon character comes through more).  The flavor is bright and reminiscent of ripe peaches and apricots.  The sourness is not overpowering, but actually enhances the fruit flavor.  This is a seriously complex beer worth trying.  It is also deceptively smooth, with the relatively high ABV well masked.

• Like 1