Vermeer is Coming, and So Are Long Lines - Curator Arthur K. Wheelock Jr's "Vermeer and the Masters of Genre Painting: Inspiration and Rivalry" - Oct 22, 2017 - Jan 21, 2018

DonRocks

On 4/27/2017 at 1:47 PM, DonRocks said:

I'm telling all of our readers:

Pay attention to this post, or you're fucked - *Jump* on the first chance you get.

I was born in Bethesda in 1961, and went to the previous Johannes Vermeer exhibit at the National Gallery, "Johannes Vermeer," Nov 12, 1995 - Feb 11, 1996  - which became the first-ever exhibit I remember in DC taking on its own life.

At the time of the previous exhibition, Vermeer had 35 known works, total - 21 were in the previous exhibition; 10 are in the upcoming one.

I say, 'Get ready to move on this, because entry may become problematic.'

7 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

This is the timeframe for the event in DC.  From what it appears right now, it won't be ticketed or require passes. 

They may be in for a shitstorm, just like in 1995-1996, perhaps more-so (at least it isn't in Summer). That was the first-ever art exhibit in DC that I remember being packed, and I had been going to the NGA for ten years before at least once a week.

I went to Vermeer on the day after Thanksgiving along with my in-laws, a couple of cute kids, and about 587,998 other people. I mention the other people because a crowded art gallery can really detract from a magical experience. that said, I wasn't that impressed. The works of art are very small and...a bit blurry. Also, they are curated so that all of the parrot pictures were together, all of the backs of people were together, ect. While this may seem very organized to some, it made me realize that these guys all worked in one studio and copied, I mean, drew inspiration from, one image they they replicated...and I found that distracting.

I did enjoy spending time watching tourists see the big blue rooster for the first time. I am not a fan of that bird, but LOVE reactions to it. If you ever feel like people watching, I recommend a cold stone bench on top of an east building tower. That is magical.