Paula Abdul (1962-), Pop Singer-Songwriter, Actress, Dancer, and Choreographer

DonRocks

Everybody needs to start somewhere.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but Paula Abdul sings no better than I do, and I have the type of voice where I'm embarrassed to sing the National Anthem at sporting events, or hymns in church - my voice is *that* bad: It's very-much-below average. She's not quite singing out-of-tune (although who knows what technical corrections were made?), but there's absolutely *no* talent behind that voice. What does that tell you about technology in pop music? Next time you watch a music video, see if there are any shots of people dancing for longer than 1/2 second, without the camera cutting to a new scene - if there are, and the dancers manage to keep up good moves for 3-4 seconds, then they're a step-above the norm.

Paula Abdul became famous because she has a set of core attributes (she's pretty, she sings somewhat on-key, she dances well enough to keep rhythm, she somehow learned how to choreograph), and most importantly, because she had the personality willing to turn herself over to her advisers. She had enough raw material so that the Suits could take technology, and make this very average teenage girl into a false talent. I will add: This is not a knock on Paula Abdul, the person - she had enough smarts to do this, and to reap the benefits from doing it.

Where on earth did you find this? Is this a feature length film? I think Paula Abdul is generally thought of as a better dancer than singer, but in a cheerleader,  backup dancer sort of way (she was a Laker Girl while in college). I think she hit the jackpot when she made a music video, heavily played on MTV, dancing and singing with a cartoon cat. In general, she comes across as a nice person. I don't wish her any ill will for allowing her handlers to make the most of what she has, but the singing in this clip is cringeworthy. 

17 hours ago, DIShGo said:

Where on earth did you find this? Is this a feature length film? I think Paula Abdul is generally thought of as a better dancer than singer, but in a cheerleader,  backup dancer sort of way (she was a Laker Girl while in college). I think she hit the jackpot when she made a music video, heavily played on MTV, dancing and singing with a cartoon cat. In general, she comes across as a nice person. I don't wish her any ill will for allowing her handlers to make the most of what she has, but the singing in this clip is cringeworthy. 

It's a 37-minute featurette called "Junior High School," made when she was 15 or 16. One of the two composers (brothers) composed "Spanish Flea" for Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (which was parodied in "The Simpsons" episode, "Sunday, Cruddy Sunday").

If you're wondering why the song is so familiar, it was the theme song of "The Dating Game."

Don't open this link unless you're in the mood for a fallen hero.

And, if you must (I could swear the first teacher is "Doug" on "The New Zoo Revue" - btw, guess who played Mr. Dingle?)

On 4/29/2017 at 7:39 PM, DIShGo said:

I think she hit the jackpot when she made a music video, heavily played on MTV, dancing and singing with a cartoon cat.

I think she hit the jackpot when she met Janet Jackson - I distinctly remember reading an interview with her, about twenty years ago, saying "Janet Jackson and I made each other look pretty damned good." She *must* have been a fine dancer-choreographer, as you don't get to her level by luck alone. She also had *very* strong thighs, and choreographed in a way that required them. 

That said, she really can't sing very well. :)

A Redskinette went to high school with me - she was slender and blonde, but she wasn't a threat to be a serious dancer (I don't even think she was a cheerleader). I say this even though we're Facebook friends, and I like her very much. Of course, the "Embraceable Ewes" is probably the best name I've ever heard for a cheerleading troupe, so that's an advantage right off the bat.

I didn't (couldn't) watch this video straight through, but I watched over half, and didn't see a single sequence that lasted much longer than one - maybe two - seconds. She can spin and stop, or wiggle her hips and crouch, but in this video, there isn't any more; there *must* be a long-sequence film of her dancing somewhere. At the very beginning, she dances decently, but those are fake tapping noises, and the video is probably sped up some:

I'm not sure why I'm being such a nattering nabob of negativism - I bought her CD when I was in my 20s (I didn't just admit that). The more I'm reading about her, the more I'm realizing her real talent was in choreography.

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I think she hit the jackpot when she met Janet Jackson - I distinctly remember reading an interview with her, about twenty years ago, saying "Janet Jackson and I made each other look pretty damned good." She *must* have been a fine dancer-choreographer, as you don't get to her level by luck alone. She also had *very* strong thighs, and choreographed in a way that required them.
I'm not sure why I'm being such a nattering nabob of negativism - I bought her CD when I was in my 20s (I didn't just admit that). The more I'm reading about her, the more I'm realizing her real talent was in choreography.

Absolutely, her talent was in choreography and her work with Janet brought her fame. I think the line dancing she and Janet did with an army of back up dancers behind was innovative in the 1980s. Now every pop singer has a choreographed routine with dancers behind them. 

On 5/1/2017 at 7:49 PM, DIShGo said:

Absolutely, her talent was in choreography and her work with Janet brought her fame. I think the line dancing she and Janet did with an army of back up dancers behind was innovative in the 1980s. Now every pop singer has a choreographed routine with dancers behind them. 

I watched the video you posted three times total - Abdul could dance very well (or, at the very least, she had some fantastic moves), and I have no doubt she was a great choreographer.

But you must admit that the first video up on top is pretty cringe-worthy. :)

(Of course, when *I* was that age, I was working in the Boy's Clothing department at Sears. Hey, don't laugh - minimum wage was $2.25, and I was making $2.50 ... one particularly brutal 40-hour work week, I made $100.)