Pasa Thai - Chef Iadua Komol on Old Chain Bridge and Churchill Road, McLean

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Pasa Thai, given our takeout meal last night. For apps, we got orders of Crispy Spring Rolls and Pasa Thai Dumplings. The rolls were good, but the amount of "chef special sauce" they give you on a take out order, especially when sharing among 2 (or more) people, wasn't enough. The dumplings were also good, but they are prepared "shumai"-style, which weren't the kind of dumplings I was expecting. So, these were 5 tasty one-bite morsels, and I was anticipating the larger, 2-bite "Chinese-food-style" versions. They also come with a small amount of sauce. The restaurant appears to use the small 1oz containers (see picture below), whereas I feel the 2oz version is standard. Anyway, that's meant more as an informational item, than a criticism, as I'm sure they'd give more sauce if asked. We had soup, Tom Kha Gai, which was a very good version, though not spicy (if that's your preference). For mains, Pad Thai with chicken and shrimp was an ample portion, but was fairly bland and just OK. I would not order this dish again. The Crispy Chicken Basil was also an ample portion, and I liked the breading they used, but there was literally no sauce when we went to eat this dish. I don't know if they forgot to include it on the side, and there isn't any evidence of the sauce having been soaked up by the chicken breading. If they did use sauce as part of the cooking process, they used it so sparingly that it completely disappeared before affecting the dish. This had the potential to be excellent, so this was unfortunate. In sum, with the exception of the Pad Thai, the food was pretty good, or had the potential to be, but weird things happened that prevent me from giving it an outright endorsement. Also, these 5 items cost nearly $60, which felt expensive to me. Or, it could be reasonable, but the general idea of spending $60 on takeout food (of any kind) seems ridiculous to me. Anyway, YMMV!

plastcontsaucegrp2.png