Scott Johnston (Irmo)

Frankly I am putting down my fork and trying to exercise more. My starting weight was 273, which translates to 3000-4000 calories a day. I have tried to shaved 1000 calories off that, and try to balance out my intake by adding more fruits and vegetables. I consider fruits and veggies free food (as long as the preparation does not add fat). I am also trying to reduce fat in my diet.

Last weekend I really felt that I over ate and ate the wrong foods, I saw the hard earned weight loss go up 2 pounds and then I cut back and have regained the loss as of this morning (I am at 266 again). This week i am eating out more often then i am eating in and make sure that I mainly eat veggies, skip dessert (ok, I really did have some chocolate twice this week) and limit alcohol. I also start each day with oatmeal or some other type of hot cereal. I am avoiding bread and rice and other simple carbs, and adding complex ones where possible. I also started to read "You on a diet" that has some nice insights.

I also have a diet buddy that has been working with me to avoid temptation, especially in the store.

My real lack right now is the exercise portion. I will be focusing on that for the rest of this week.

Seven pounds in three weeks, and they really seem to be gone since you've moved from a quick drop to gradual loss.

Impressive!

So, what are you doing now that you weren't doing before the Challenge--or vice versa?

Thanks Anna for the encouragement!

Well after a little setback last week, both at the scales and in my head, I am back in the saddle, down 2 pounds to 266. Exersiced once this week and plan on at least two more times!

Results to date right on target!

You're still five pounds lighter than you were nearly a month ago. Were you to continue in this fashion, you'd be 60 pounds lighter in a year. That's pretty damn good!

Well, my situation is somewhat similar since I've just spent a little over a week regaining and losing the same 1 1/2 pounds to remain 5 pounds lighter instead of 7 1/2 or 8. Plus, I am gettting a little tired of soup which has been the most convenient way for me to minimize the size of portions.

Anything we can do to help?

You've already recognized some of the ways you've been giving into temptation. Would it be possible for you to find some way get exercise while doing something your daughter (?) would enjoy doing with you--like biking when there's no snow on the ground or even long walks along a trail?

It's good to learn that you're really determined now and that you are seeing results.

Is there something new you are doing this week that is proving successful?

Above, you started to record your meals, but stopped after jotting down one breakfast. Have you been keeping your own records?

I am back down to 266. Since I last posted, I joined Weight Watchers and have been tracking my "points' via their website. I am now trying to bring my lunch more and not each as much at night. My progress may be slower, but I am definitely looking at the long haul.

It's good to learn that you're really determined now and that you are seeing results.

Is there something new you are doing this week that is proving successful?

Above, you started to record your meals, but stopped after jotting down one breakfast. Have you been keeping your own records?

Congratulations, Scott!

Your desire to lose an additional 10% of your current weight in 6 months means you're striving to lose almost four times as much as you did in 2007 during the same amount of time. Any reason you've set such an ambitious goal this year? Weight Watchers?