White Women Burrito Cart Closed Due to Appropriation

Ericandblueboy

Portland Mercury causes a burrito cart to shut down because white women "stole" recipes while vacationing in Mexico.

I hereby demand that the Source, Gaijin Ramen, and Tiger Fork be shut down immediately.  In addition, I demand that Maketto close half of the restaurant since Bruner-Yang is at best half Taiwanese, and it needs to stop selling Cambodian food.

Jose Andres needs to close China Chilcano, Oyamel, and Zaytina.  That guy should be limited to slinging tapas and molecular gastronomic shit.

[eta: as far as I can tell, this story is legit.]

P.S. better go to Pok Pok now before it gets accused of cultural appropriation.

• Like 3

This can't be real... 

Portland is ludicrous. Every news story is straight out of Portlandia. 

I'm a little offended that nobody has appropriated Indian food yet. Feel like the red headed stepchild. Andy Ricker - go to Kerala or Punjab or Gujarat and make it happen!

But, seriously, WTF is wrong with that place? 

On 5/25/2017 at 7:43 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

[eta: as far as I can tell, this story is legit.]

I had heard about this elsewhere, but I just clicked on the link in the original post, and the original blog post has now been replaced with:

A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR (5/31/17) Dear readers: Due to new information that has recently come to light, we have taken down our blog post, “This Week in Appropriation: Kooks Burritos and Willamette Week.” It was not factually supported, and we regret the original publication of this story.—eds.

Hmm.