Master Police Officer John Alford, Fairfax County Police Department, and 91-1 Racing: A 501(c)(3) Charity for Fallen Officers

It's ironic that I received a citation this morning, and I'm writing this about the person who wrote it, but this world needs more officers like John Alford.

I'd just had a minor medical procedure, and was hell-bent on getting home, so I made a BS turn, and wouldn't you know it: Even though I was "certain" that I had renewed my registration, and simply lost the decal, my registration had actually expired.

Officer Alford pulled me for the turn, and found out about the expired registration. I told him that just ten minutes before, I was having a device removed from my spine, and he believed me (thank goodness, because it was true). 

However, I'd been driving with an expired registration for awhile now, and he (justifiably) wrote me a citation for it. Please note: I'm going to pay the ticket, and not go to court, so this isn't some lame effort to get out of a traffic citation.

Apr 17, 2012 - "McLean Police Officer Honored for Outstanding Service" by Regina Garcia Cano on patch.com

---

I've been pulled over numerous times in my life, and I knew that Officer Alford was a good person, and a good officer, from the way he handled this. He showed compassion by understanding that I had just left the physician's office, but common sense in writing a citation for the expired registration, which had happened several months ago.

But commending Officer Alford isn't the reason I'm writing this - I looked him up on the internet when I got home, and discovered that he is an amazing man: He runs a 501(c)(3) charity for fallen police officers, and it's one that deserves your support.

---

Jan 3, 2013 - "John Alford Honors Virginia's Fallen Officers, Firefighters" by Whitney Wild on wjla.com

Mar 1, 2015 - "Arena Racing Police Officer Honors Fallen Heroes" on vivatysons.com

---

"About John Alford" on 911racing.com <--- This is the charity's website.

@91-1Racing on Twitter

---

Don Rockwell

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thistle said:

Ha, ha! When I get pulled over on a bs violation (which rarely happens), I don't go to the trouble of looking up the officer's record, I'm happy you were able to acknowledge his accomplishments.

This was poor writing on my part - when I said "BS turn," I meant to say "I was full of BS for making the turn," which was a clear breach of signage on my part (I made an illegal U-Turn in a clearly marked no-U-Turn zone - I was hurting, tired, and wanted to get home).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

(I made an illegal U-Turn in a clearly marked no-U-Turn zone).

I always thought those signs were merely suggestions.  I guess you are never too old to learn something new.

• Like 1