Dinner for Seven in Adams Morgan during Pride Weekend - One Vegetarian, One Convalescing

smithhemb

Saturday dinner near Adams Morgan.  One vegetarian, one person who is recovering from surgery and needs bland/healthy/low sodium, four foodies, and one person who probably doesn't care.  Request for Adams Morgan came from a Bostonian who hasn't been to DC in quite awhile (I suspect).  So he might be thinking A-M circa 1990.  Or maybe that's where he found an Air BnB.  My guess is that the four out-of-towners all like to drink, though maybe post-op guy is out of commission on that front.  Any ideas re where to go?

• Like 1

Thanks!

Back in the day, Cashion's Eat Place would have been perfect, but two of the foodies (in addition to the vegetarian) don't eat seafood, so that pretty much rules out Johnny's.  I'll give Mintwood a call and see if they can accommodate us.  Their online reservation system just circles sold out on every date displayed when I plug in a party of 7.

How is Lapis?  Menu-wise they seemed to cover all bases nicely, and the early reviews looked mixed but promising.  But nobody's written about it since.

1 hour ago, smithhemb said:

Back in the day, Cashion's Eat Place would have been perfect, but two of the foodies (in addition to the vegetarian) don't eat seafood, so that pretty much rules out Johnny's

It doesn't - the menu will limit your friends, but not exclude them.

Screenshot 2017-05-28 at 10.52.31 AM.png

An online reservation will almost never show availability for a party of seven - make sure to call all the restaurants.

I haven't been to these places, but having had surgery last year and eating lightly/blandly for quite some afterwards, I think you might consider these to accommodate your post-op friend: 

Lapis might work b/c a chicken kabob and rice would be pretty bland.

Tail-Up Goat doesn't seem to have any bland options, unless I'm missing something. Maybe the pasta primavera w/o the aleppo breadcrumbs, but post-surgery, this menu would look daunting to me.

Mintwood Place has a roasted chicken w/veggies and jus, so that could work well.

Johnny's looks tougher, because the chicken is cooked in chiles, unless your friend feels up for grilled halibut (and maybe they can do the sauce on the side).

Perry's has miso soup and rice (though miso is not low sodium), and some other foods that could work.

re Iron Gate, a tasting menu (even if made special) could be difficult for someone recovering from surgery with a lower appetite, and their dinner menu doesn't have much in the way of blander/lighter options. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rieux said:

Tom S. recently liked the new Italian red sauce joint Rosario on 18th St.  

I've been once, and also like it very much. (Disclaimer - I know and like some of the folks involved.)