Al Dente (Book)

16.5 to go. 16.5 pounds happens to be the average amount of tomatoes an American eats each year. The average adult male wallaby weighs 16.5 pounds. 16.5 pounds is 7.484274105e+24 zeptograms, 534.591 007 5 tetradrachms, 0.294642857 firkins, and 5870.018905882 deniers.

19 to go. Though my hair was wet and I hadn't shaved yet, so I figure you could probably subtract another pound and a half. :lol:

First, great new avatar!!

Second, thanks for the source of inspiration. My hair's grown past my shoulders and were I to cut it, I might lose another pound at the very least...

ARE you working out, by the way? I am curious about the extent to which all of us are amping up physical exercise.

I guess you've never seen me in person. Oh yeah, I work out like mad.

Okay, well not really. I do bike, and I walk quite a lot. That's about it. I am thinking of attempting a gym again-- anyone have any recommendations? I was leaning toward Washington Sports Club.

Okay, well not really. I do bike, and I walk quite a lot. That's about it. I am thinking of attempting a gym again-- anyone have any recommendations? I was leaning toward Washington Sports Club.

I like Washington Sports Club--I belonged for several years when I lived on the Hill and then gave it up when we lived in an apartment building that had a gym.

Pluses: many locations. I could combine going to the gym with other errands. Also great for when I would travel to NY.

Negatives--Capitol Hill was always very crowded in the mornings--lots of Hill staffers trying to get ready for work. I suspect the men's locker room isn't as bad as the women's though!

I never looked at Results. I did look at Gold's Gym in Southwest--if it had been a bit closer to my apartment, I might have joined.

Mr. BLB gets a discount at WSC through his job and rejoined recently. I'll do the same after the baby arrives.

HMMMM. I've been trying to reconcile the Hawaiian shirt with the assless chaps. . . I believe you live on Capitol Hill, so this won't help. But, one of my neighbors was told that she had to lose weight and get in shape or go on medication for high blood pressure. She looked around and found the best deal at Results. A whole bunch of a places are within walking distance, so this was rather surprising.

I like WSC although there's lots of variation between the different locations. If you opt to join there, remember that everything is negotiable (initiation fee, monthly, etc.). Ask if they're running the friends and family promo for staff and you might get lucky.

Not sure where you're located, but I belong to Fitness First. The one near me has a good selection of classes (to me this means they have yoga a few days a week and I like at least one of the yoga instructors--YMMV), and adequate cardio machines for the ever crazy 5:30-6:45 time slot. Sure, sometimes you have to wait, but never for very long.

The gym is fairly inexpensive (after whatever the initiation fee was that I paid over a year ago, I'm now on a month to month and I pay something like $20 or $30/month, although I think I get some kind of reduced fee because of my employer). There is a certain measure of you get what you pay for. There are signs everywhere (largely in the locker room) exhorting you to help with cleaning up. I'm probably a snot, but I don't feel like 'we're all in this together on the kibbutz.' I feel as though I pay money and get to use exercise machines, they get money and maintain the physical plant. If they're not charging enough to maintain physical plant in a reasonable condition and are getting customer complaints, I see one very easy solution (and it's not asking me to clean!). But, to each their own.

I used to belong to a sport and health in the district. It was quite swank-swank and I loved it. But, we moved. The sport and health close to where I work is quite large and even has a pool. However, it's not sufficiently convenient to where I live now and I discovered that proximity to home was more important to me than proximity to where I work.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. One of the perks of my new job is frequent feedings from the catering peeps over at the Rockville Whole Foods. This is great on the wallet, but puts a hurtin' on the belt buckle.

Lunch today:

• Turkey sandwich on whole wheat with lettuce and onion (so far, so good-- okay, I put a little horseradish mayo on it. So sue me.)
  • Macaroni salad (uh, oh)
  • Kettle potato chips (the flesh is weak)
  • Large chocolate chip cookie (gimme a break)
  • 365 brand Key Lime soda (this is good for me, right? I mean, it's pure cane sugar and not the high fructose stuff!)
  • Remorse

16 pounds to go. The shame... ;)

My efforts at self-discipline have been directed elsewhere these past few months, so weight issues have not been high on my agenda. For now, I'm somewhat happy to stay under 200. The 175 lb Al Dente should be ready for release sometime around Christmas. :blink:

If anything, I'm taking up a little more real estate since this challenge started, but as of this past Saturday, I'm a non-smoker for the 743rd time. Hopefully my squeeky clean lungs will enable me to get my ass off the couch and start doing something active.

I want to avoid gaining 20 pounds during this withdrawal phase. The tea tree toothpicks help a bit. I guess.

If anything, I'm taking up a little more real estate since this challenge started, but as of this past Saturday, I'm a non-smoker for the 743rd time. Hopefully my squeeky clean lungs will enable me to get my ass off the couch and start doing something active.

I want to avoid gaining 20 pounds during this withdrawal phase. The tea tree toothpicks help a bit. I guess.

Okay, you inspired me to update my thread, which will hopefully inspire you to get off the couch.