Server at DC Restaurant Accused of Inflating Tips

Ericandblueboy

30 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

son in trouble:

"Bibiana Server Accused of of Bilking Customers Claimed Ashok Bajaj Assaulted Him" by Marisa M. Kashino on washingtonian.com

Can you imagine what a massive PITA it must have been to reimburse 147 customers for $787.37?

I can see the owner saying something nasty (even though we're on fine terms, I know of two distinct cases when he did this - and once it was about me!); I can't see him physically threatening anyone.

This is such small potatoes that I'm surprised it's newsworthy - if I had to name names of people that bilked me (or tried to bilk me) out of $787.37 or more, it would be a fairly shocking list (if you're reading this, do yourself a favor and don't think I'm naive).

This is totally messed up, but if we take a step back, to me it's just one more reason that we should pay servers the full minimum wage so that they don't have to struggle so hard to get by. The tipped minimum wage is still $3.77 in DC and $2.13 in VA.

59 minutes ago, analogcrush said:

Also, I just noticed there's a whole thread on this and I know that opinions vary greatly on the topic. I worked as a server for many years and that's my opinion but I know that other folks will disagree :)

Its good and healthy to hear the perspective of a server.  I know you can have good and bad days and miserable days and weeks. 

Meanwhile I looked at that story and my reaction was that the server was a "shm**k".  Some $700 spread over 9 months.  That is about $70/month.  For doing something stupid that sooner or later will be caught.  For $70/month find a better gig!!!  Other than that these two gentlemen are in a dispute. Happens all the time.  Hope they get it settled and move on.

Totally, this guy is definitely a crook. And you're right, It does seem like a weird choice for the payoff! 

The tip system doesn't excuse him cheating people, but I also sometimes wonder why restaurant owners are the only bosses who don't have to take responsibility for paying their staff a minimum and are allowed to let it fall on the clients.

• Like 1