Business Insider's List of "Best Steaks in Every State"

DaveO

Certainly if you are on an expense account, traveling a lot and are an unremitting carnivore this is the kind of news you MUST HAVE.

Just saw an article about the steaks voted BEST in each state and DC.  Its quite exciting.  Bet you can't wait.

The information comes from Business Insider which has a publication in most major cities if not all and the data comes from FourSquare.  How many of you have a Foursquare App?  How many use it?   Did your votes count?  

How many know what foursquare is???

In any case here is the article and if you can't wait any longer here is who won Per state: 

Virginia  Mikes American Grill, Springfield

Maryland  Woodmont Grill, Bethesda

DC  Bourbon Steak, Georgetown

Do you agree?

The article is being redistributed by other news sources.  I found it in Patch.

• Like 1

No no no no no.  Just... no.  An indication of how off this is is that a number of places are duplicated across states.  J. Gilberts in Missouri and Connecticut.  Flemings in Iowa and Louisiana.  Maybe I'm not up on the what the kids these days are doing, but didn't Foursquare peak some time ago?

On 6/8/2017 at 11:26 AM, genericeric said:

No no no no no.  Just... no.  An indication of how off this is is that a number of places are duplicated across states.  J. Gilberts in Missouri and Connecticut.  Flemings in Iowa and Louisiana.  Maybe I'm not up on the what the kids these days are doing, but didn't Foursquare peak some time ago?

It was an attempt at dry humor on my part.  But foursquare did publish it in conjunction with the business newspaper and it gets distributed and republished who knows how many times.  It gets seen.  Not sure if foursquare peaked or not, but its still out there doing different things doing what it can to grow and get sold for a quazillion dollars.   I'm not going to go back to research this, but I think I recall foursquare along with some ITA's (internet travel agencies) being a source for articles in the Autumn suggesting traffic was down at trump hotels.    They do stuff to get publicity.

In any case those are weak submissions for VA and MD.... and in DC...oh I don't know.  In fact I definitely don't know.  There was a time I ate at a lot of different steak houses.  Not recently.  I know I can get a great steak at Ray's for a fraction of the price at Bourbon Steak and the others.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaveO said:

It was an attempt at dry humor on my part. 

I know, I was just so aghast at the choices.  Growing up in Iowa, I know Flemings is popular in Des Moines but I would be surprised if many would say its the best steak - its just a nice place to have dinner.  Kansas City is still proud of its barbeque and beef (and recently, beer).  The problem with Foursquare ratings is they confuse popularity with quality.

2 hours ago, genericeric said:

I know, I was just so aghast at the choices.  Growing up in Iowa, I know Flemings is popular in Des Moines but I would be surprised if many would say its the best steak - its just a nice place to have dinner.  Kansas City is still proud of its barbeque and beef (and recently, beer).  The problem with Foursquare ratings is they confuse popularity with quality.

I thought it was such "weird" news.  Sort of stupid.  If you live in LA and the "best" steak house in California is in the San Fran area....who cares.  Also --Foursquare...sort of a strange place to get substantive data from.  Its usage is limited and also probably severely slanted toward one demographic or another.  In other words not a substantial or credible source of data.

But its "news".  more "entertainment" news imho than real news.  Ah well.

As to Kansas City:  Hmm.  I used to visit there a reasonably frequent number of times, both some business and pleasure.  It was pre internet days.  But it wasn't pre "give recommendations for steak house" days.  I was eating a lot of steaks and got a lot of different recommendations from different people and from print. 

Uhhhh....all I can say is that my tastes and taste buds differed strongly from some of the suggestions.  :D   But I did agree with some.  KC has a lot of steakhouses.

3 hours ago, genericeric said:

In Iowa, Archie's Waeside in LeMars would have to be a top contender--I mean, hell, it's already a James Beard honoree, and the steaks really are a phenomenal deal even if the atmosphere and side dishes are cheesy (but I hear they have an impressive wine list if you ask for it).

28 minutes ago, Tujague said:

In Iowa, Archie's Waeside in LeMars would have to be a top contender--I mean, hell, it's already a James Beard honoree, and the steaks really are a phenomenal deal even if the atmosphere and side dishes are cheesy (but I hear they have an impressive wine list if you ask for it).

Agree - would also give a nod toward Rube's in Montour, though a completely different atmosphere (and cook-your-own should really be a separate category)

Side note, any restaurant that has this disclaimer on its website is probably worth a visit:

VACATION TIME AT

ARCHIE'S WAESIDE!

Closed July 2 through July 24

for our annual vacation.

• Like 1