Pre-Kennedy Center on a Thursday - Show is at 7:30 PM

silentbob

Living with young kids in the suburbs, we rarely get to eat out in DC.  There are four options for dinner before our 7:30 Hedwig show that interest me the most:  Red Hen (at the bar), Little Serow, Bad Saint, and Tail Up Goat (5:30 reservation currently available).

We're willing to wait in line up to 30 minutes before Little Serow or Bad Saint open, but not much longer.

Tail Up Goat would be the easy pick due to proximity and certainty if we hadn't been there already last year.  We went to Little Serow once in 2011 when it was still new.  Really itching to try RH and BS but the logistics have always been too tough.  Factoring in likely lines on a weeknight, ease of parking, and distance from KC, which one makes the most sense?

We went to Little Serow this past Friday night and were maybe 10th in line when we got there at 5.  We probably could have arrived 10 minutes later or so and safely gotten into the first seating.  I'm sure it's even easier on a weeknight…not the scene it once was (though the meal was superb). 

On 6/11/2017 at 9:01 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Little Serow is the closest and has the best food.  Get your task rabbiter to stand in line for you.  Maybe Don will stand in line for you because you're a member of this website.  I hear membership has its privileges.

:blink:

First, I have to be able to stand in line for myself.

Stay tuned.

On June 11, 2017 at 10:58 AM, silentbob said:

We're willing to wait in line up to 30 minutes before Little Serow or Bad Saint open, but not much longer.

The line at Bad Saint is usually well into the second seating long before that.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice and insights!  I think Little Serow will be our first option and if it looks like we've arrived too late for the first seating, then walking across the street to Sushi Taro should be easy enough.  And as things turned out, I grabbed a reservation at The Red Hen for dinner before a show next month.  As Michael Scott would say, that's win-win-win.

18 hours ago, silentbob said:

Thanks to all for the helpful advice and insights!  I think Little Serow will be our first option and if it looks like we've arrived too late for the first seating, then walking across the street to Sushi Taro should be easy enough.  And as things turned out, I grabbed a reservation at The Red Hen for dinner before a show next month.  As Michael Scott would say, that's win-win-win.

You know what was interesting, the line for sushi taro was much longer than ours for Little Serow. Don't they take reservations? 

Belated thanks to all for the input.  We showed up at Little Serow just before 5, and got into the first seating with plenty of margin to spare.  There were at least two TaskRabbit parties ahead of us in line.  It looked like 5:15 would've been fine, and yes, eventually the Sushi Taro happy hour line was even longer.

On a related note, when we went to The Red Hen with a Thursday 5:30 reservation, it seemed like showing up anytime before 6:00 still would've been fine for eating at the bar.