Hot Guts - Texas-Style Hot Sausages

I always try to order something I've never seen before, even though I think I'll know what it is.

Last night I was at Fremont Diner, and ordered Hot Guts - which are Texas-style sausages - *very* spicy, with no beating-around-the-bush about what they contain. Also, they have a serious S-n-a-p followed by a torrent of spicy liquid accompanying the "guts" when you bite into them.

They were served on a plate, accompanied by plain, white bread, house-made pickles, and raw onion. These things define "indigestion," so unless you have a cast-iron stomach, they aren't what you want to play with.

(Not surprisingly, Fremont Diner also serves Nashville Hot Chicken with "no take-backs.")

Jul 15, 2016 - "How John Lewis Gets His Hot Gut Sausages To Snap" by Kinsey Giddick on charlestoncitypaper.com

Southside Market & Barbecue in Bastrop, Texas.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 3:20 PM, DonRocks said:

Those Southside Market sausages (especially the garlic or 1882 hot varieties) are my plutonic hot guts.  Just a perfect 3 napkin sausage that needs no accompaniment.  They are located in Elgin, which is ground zero for the style.

They mail order, but shipping is pricey.  If you have the option to swing through Elgin, do it.  It's a short hop from Austin and nearly as much a part of the story of Central TX BBQ as Luling or Lockhart

Central TX Barbecue tour

• Like 1

LA Barbecue in Austin puts out a mean hot gut.  For a less traditional (but sometimes more delicious) take on sausage at a bbq joint, Micklethwait's (also in Austin) always has interesting stuff.  On my last trip there I had a Thai chili sausage that added juuuuuust enough spice and funk to distinguish it from other spicy versions. 

On 6/28/2017 at 11:32 PM, Josh said:

For a less traditional (but sometimes more delicious) take on sausage at a bbq joint, Micklethwait's (also in Austin) always has interesting stuff.  On my last trip there I had a Thai chili sausage that added juuuuuust enough spice and funk to distinguish it from other spicy versions. 

Tom Micklethwait puts more pride and knowledge of craft into his sausages than any other I've tasted in Texas. He can give you a perfect rendition of the classics -- their jalapeno cheddar link is a benchmark -- and as mentioned, his more creative takes are as good or better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, will_5198 said:

Tom Micklethwait puts more pride and knowledge of craft into his sausages than any other I've tasted in Texas. He can give you a perfect rendition of the classics -- their jalapeno cheddar link is a benchmark -- and as mentioned, his more creative takes are as good or better.

Have you made it to the Pit Room in Houston? I'd love to hear what you think about their sausages.  I've become a big fan of the venison.

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

Have you made it to the Pit Room in Houston? I'd love to hear what you think about their sausages.  I've become a big fan of the venison.

I should make it to Houston before the end of the summer. I'll put it on my list -- currently hitting up Corkscrew, Tejas Chocolate and Killen's while I'm in the area.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:13 PM, will_5198 said:

I should make it to Houston before the end of the summer. I'll put it on my list -- currently hitting up Corkscrew, Tejas Chocolate and Killen's while I'm in the area.

I have been remiss in not hitting Corkscrew and Tejas Chocolate.  Hope to remedy that soon.  The pork rib at Killen's may be the best I've had.  The Pit Room is certainly worth a visit.  They do some fun stuff with homemade flour tortillas made with rendered brisket fat.  Pinkerton's up in the Heights (where I live) puts out some fantastic brisket and Grant's beef rib was firing on all cylinders last time I was there.

Shoot me a message if you want a dining or drinking partner when you're in town.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 3:41 PM, ad.mich said:

Those Southside Market sausages (especially the garlic or 1882 hot varieties) are my plutonic hot guts.  Just a perfect 3 napkin sausage that needs no accompaniment.  They are located in Elgin, which is ground zero for the style.

They mail order, but shipping is pricey.  If you have the option to swing through Elgin, do it.  It's a short hop from Austin and nearly as much a part of the story of Central TX BBQ as Luling or Lockhart

Central TX Barbecue tour

That Central TX tour map misses a biggie: Louis Mueller in Taylor, TX. Steeped in smoke and history. King of the beef rib, and delicious homemade sausages in the regular and spicy jalapeño varieties.