Our own rappahannock, Chef-Owner John Pearson, is battling Stage 4 Colon Cancer, and like so many in the restaurant industry, is under-insured, to the point where he is staring down bankruptcy due to his medical bills.

I've been following John's medical odyssey on Facebook, hoping he'd reach out to me, and he finally did.

He wrote me, and flat-out asked for help from this community - he is under extreme financial duress due to this illness, and needs help.

John's GoFundMe page, "Pull for Pearson," is here. As soon as I type this note, I'm going to give a donation, but the power here is in numbers - mine alone will mean nothing, and we need our members to step up and help.

For every 5 GoFundMe requests I receive, I can only afford to reply to 1 of them, and I generally save them for issues of grave importance: medical issues, people whose houses have burned down, etc. "Stage 4 Colon Cancer" is as critical as it gets - once the cancer perforates its way into the abdomen, you're in trouble, and John's in trouble. 

It took me all of one second to say "Yes, of course I'll help," and I hope that everyone reading this will do the same - I've only met John once in my life, but he has been an active part of our community over the years, and an important member of the DC and VA restaurant community for even longer.

Please click here and help him.

• Like 1