Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken - near Beltway Plaza Mall, Greenbelt

Tim Carman just posted a fairly positive write-up of this latest franchise from the Tennessee-based chain. Having dined at a couple of the Memphis-area locations over the years, my expectations are very high and I will be investigating shortly.

It's pretty spicy (but nothing like Nashville Hot) fried chicken and typical southern sides (menu here) in a relaxed atmosphere - at the downtown Memphis location, it was common to see folks waiting on a table with a 40oz bottle of malt liquor from the shop around the corner.

Opening this thread in the hopes that someone has beaten me to the spot and can tell me if I should make the trip or just wait until I'm back in Memphis to visit family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeffmhunt said:

Opening this thread in the hopes that someone has beaten me to the spot and can tell me if I should make the trip or just wait until I'm back in Memphis to visit family.

I think you should make the trip and tell the rest of us whether or not it translates well!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nelumbo said:

FYI, this is not in Beltway Plaza, it is a block or two down 193 in the building formerly occupied by Siri Chef's Secret.

[Sorry - I've been out of commission for several days.]

On 6/15/2017 at 11:01 AM, jeffmhunt said:

Tim Carman just posted a fairly positive write-up of this latest franchise from the Tennessee-based chain.

"An Asian woman, her coal-black hair streaked with gold, waits on the cooks to fulfill her orders."

:blink:

What a difference a "ful" makes! (I'm not sure whose mind is in the gutter: Sigmund's, or Sherlock's.)

On 6/15/2017 at 1:16 PM, Al Dente said:

I thought this was Gus and his World Famous Fried Chicken:

No spoilers! I'm still on Season 3!

• Like 1

Some friends picked up some goodies from Gus's for a party I went to this past weekend. The chicken was amazing. I don't think I've ever had fried chicken that was so greaseless, crispy, juicy, and delicious. The sides were good too, but I didn't think any of it was remarkable. But geez, that chicken! Too bad Gus's is so far from me-- though I'm sure my heart thinks otherwise.

Coming out of my long hibernation to chime in here: if you are a fan of the Memphis original, the chicken absolutely translates here.  And if you're not familiar, you should go.  Gus's fried chicken is one of the last things I want to eat before I die.

• Like 2

Ate there this weekend, before a nerve shredding visit to IKEA.  I love the chicken, very flavorful and juicy with a light batter.  In my opinion this is the best version of traditional southern fried chicken that I have ever had.  Still like Himitsu's non traditional fried chicken better, but good luck getting into Himitsu these days with less than 1 hour wait.

Based on sampling at a not busy time, Gus seems highly favored by UMCP students of Korean extraction.

• Like 1

I ate here one Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago.  Had the "Washington Post Special" for $12.  It was a half chicken, baked beans, and cole slaw.  The chicken was excellent- greaseless and the meat was juicy.  They only have one level of spicy- a medium kick.  The friendly guy behind the counter recommended drizzling honey on the chicken.  It was a nice contrast with the spice.  I really liked the beans and the cole slaw was fine.  They were doing half-priced beers that day so I had a couple of $2 Silver Bullets.

It's a good place to go if you're in the area.

• Like 1